Running a differant OS is so easy
I have used nothing but win. OS for years.
win 3.1, 95, 98, xp pro....
I had no idea how easy it was to switch to something else.
I have been running knoppix for a few day's and have been very happy with it.
I was so happy with it I deleted win98 from my hard drive and did a Knoppix HD install.
In searching around for information on Linux today I found Morphix.
I just downloaded the .iso and put it on a cd.
It only took a few minutes, cable connection :)
Guess what, it works on my computer too.
What is M$ going to do about this?
Just think, anyone with a internet connection and a cd burner can try a number of differant OS for free.
It's just so easy to switch to a Linux OS.
I did not have to leave my computer room, drive to the store and spend $100+ on a new OS just to give it a try.
All I had to do was download it for free.
It is too easy..
What is M$ going to do............
Re: Running a differant OS is so easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydie
What is M$ going to do about this?
Just think, anyone with a internet connection and a cd burner can try a number of differant OS for free.
It's just so easy to switch to a Linux OS.
I did not have to leave my computer room, drive to the store and spend $100+ on a new OS just to give it a try.
All I had to do was download it for free.
It is too easy..
What is M$ going to do............
MS will do the same they always do spread the FUD (fear,uncertainty and doubt) and announce their "vapour ware" of the newest, greatest and most secure OS that the world has ever known and take years to deliver it. That when it arrives will be overpriced geared toward locking you into a proprietatary file formats, undermine existing standards with "windows enhancements" that some break everything else and with more than enough security holes in it that have been around since Christ was a cowboy, just their normal practice of business as usual.
And while I'm thinking about it with that freed up cash you may want to consider a donation to the Free Software Foundation to help support the people who started it all.
May the source be with you!
Re: Running a differant OS is so easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydie
What is M$ going to do............
I think they'll either have to embrace Linux in one way or another or they might try to kill it entirely with their money. A company that can pay millions of dollars in fines and court settlements every other week and not even flinch should have little trouble finding plenty of lawyers to babble in legalese long enough to put the screws to open source. SCO had even made it clear that much of the reason they want code to be non-open source is because people could be making millions of dollars a year with it. Unfortunately it's all about money. Why it would be a shame to let a big money-making opportunity go to waste! Being the good capitalist pigs that we are it would be a crime not to cash in right?- Yeah and there goes everything great about OSS. Let's hope it doesn't happen that way.