If Knoppix is upgraded left and right is it still Knoppix?
Hello,
If an Hd install of Knoppix is upgraded left and right (in every respect) is it still knoppix ?
(Just being curious)
One other question:
*what does it involve to have a completely updated Linux system ?
I mean, how long is the list of manual updates, configurations and dependencies necessary to have the latest system ?
1) How many items on the list (of the expert user?)
a) Is it Apt-get upgrade,
b) Kde upgrade,
c) Kernel upgrade,
d)...
...
e)... ??
... How many more on the list? (10? 20? 100?)
Thanks
Re: If Knoppix is upgraded left and right is it still Knoppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by massai
Hello,
If an Hd install of Knoppix is upgraded left and right (in every respect) is it still knoppix ?
(Just being curious)
Not really. It's Debian. I'm sure you can find a contradictory opinion in #debian though. ;) Knoppix is auto-configuration and auto-detection of hardware.
Quote:
One other question:
*what does it involve to have a completely updated Linux system ?
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
The key is in a file called /etc/apt/sources.list The servers you have listed there dictate what packages are available for you to install via apt. I don't use KDE at the moment so the source for it is commented out of my file but I do have gnome2.4-sid sources. Search the site for more info.
Quote:
I mean, how long is the list of manual updates, configurations and dependencies necessary to have the latest system ?
Define latest. Do you want stable, testing, unstable, or experimental?
Quote:
1) How many items on the list (of the expert user?)
a) Is it Apt-get upgrade,
b) Kde upgrade,
c) Kernel upgrade,
d)...
...
e)... ??
... How many more on the list? (10? 20? 100?)
Thanks
I still use kernel 2.4.23 and am in no hurry to switch to 2.6. My current kernel provides everything I need. Besides, you don't just change kernels every week. Keep in mind that all packages are managed by apt. Use the GUI's available to you. I prefer Synaptic to any other. Resist all temptation to do apt-get dist-upgrade until you are more familiar with apt. In my experience the problem packages were always KDE related. You won't need to upgrade packages every other day either.