Looking to hire someone to make a customised knoppix distro
Hi,
I work for a health development project in Tanzania (non-commercial, non-profit, development assistance). We are developing health information software (which we will distribute under the GPL licence). We have MySQL as the backend, tomcat and JSP for the web-based user interface. The users of the system will often be people with very basic computer skills so the interface is a very simple point and press thing.
We think it would be useful to be able to distribute the whole system (including about 700Mb of data) on a CD. Here's the vision: the user takes the CD, pops it into their computer, boots, there is no login to confuse them, the browser opens automatically. They make some selections and produce their output (charts or tables in a web-page). They then save the output to their local hard drive (almost all will be using various flavours of MS Windows). When they are finished they take out the CD and reboot. Or, if they have a network, perhaps they could leave it running and have several people access the data. This way they don't have to install anything on their machine (we have seen specialised software trash too many OS installations and cause havoc [yes, they were all based on MS Access]).
I understand that knoppix does some neat compression stuff and I am hoping that the 700mb database will not take up all the space. I have taken a brief look at knoppix and could, in time, work out if it is feasible to do this, and then work out how to do it. But I don't have enough time. We are therefore looking for people with experience in customising knoppix who might be interested in:
i) discussing the feasibility of this and working with us to develop the design specification
ii) actually making the thing. We are creating the analysis system (database, analysis tools, user-interface) so "making" in this context means getting it into a trimmed-down knoppix distribution with the data.
I am not looking for a freebie here, we have money to hire someone to do this for us.
I hope it is appropriate to make this sort of posting here (please let me know if not and where I could try if this is not appropriate). Please email me (dave AT ammp.or.tz) if you are interested in something like this.
Thanks.
Dave