Very slow to open a new window or start an application
Hi,
I've installed knoppix on the harddisk.
I have an annoying problem: it takes more than 10 seconds to open a new window or an application. For example: to open the configuration window on Konqueror (settings>configure konqueror) it takes 13 seconds.
Starting new applications also takes a lot of time before the window comes up on the screen.
And this happens after a fresh reboot!
When I'm running top while opening a new window or starting a new application, it shows that kdeinit is at the #1 cpu users using sometimes more than 90%.
I don't think this is normal, because beside these problems knoppix is quite fast and WindowsXP is also fast on this computer (1GHz; 256Mb; Radeon9500). Maybe I have installed/removed/updated something that did this, but I can't remember what.
I don't know what I can do to solve this problem. Anywone here have an idea?
Re: Very slow to open a new window or start an application
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2
Hi,
I've installed knoppix on the harddisk.
I have an annoying problem: it takes more than 10 seconds to open a new window or an application. For example: to open the configuration window on Konqueror (settings>configure konqueror) it takes 13 seconds.
Starting new applications also takes a lot of time before the window comes up on the screen.
And this happens after a fresh reboot!
When I'm running top while opening a new window or starting a new application, it shows that kdeinit is at the #1 cpu users using sometimes more than 90%.
I don't think this is normal, because beside these problems knoppix is quite fast and WindowsXP is also fast on this computer (1GHz; 256Mb; Radeon9500). Maybe I have installed/removed/updated something that did this, but I can't remember what.
I don't know what I can do to solve this problem. Anywone here have an idea?
That sounds like a problem with KDE somewhere what do you have installed for it to check use dpkg -l | grep 3.1.[345] the "|" character is a pipe on my keyboard you use the shift and \ keys at the same time to get it, can you post the output of the command so we can see it. You may want to try opening a console window (clam shell icon on the taskbar) and typing in say konqueror and see what the messages are in the window as it starts that may give you a clue as to what it is trying to do.