Change screen resolution w/o reboot ?
I have had Knoppix 33 runnning from CD for about a week now.
It started at 640x480 8 bit color. In windows, my monitor is capable of 1024x768 24 bit color. I just select it from the list, and it works. In Control Center, its not listed.
At 640x480 res, some of the windows in Control Center are bigger than the screen, so I can't see the Apply, Okay, Cancel buttons at the bottom.
The same for some other apps, and "resize" only allows me to change the WIDTH.
I have changed some preferences, and have it looking almost like I want, but some I can't, because I can't see the buttons. I have searched this forum, and all answers seem to mention H and V synch numbers, but my monitor is not listed in the X configurator, and I have no idea what values to use.
Is there a way to change the resolution without rebooting ?
Any input GREATLY appreciated.
Maybe by some how stopping KDE, changing it, then restarting it ?
I don't want to reboot because I'm afraid I'll lose all the things I've created and prefs I've changed, as well as browser history and bookmarks. It took me most of a night to get the modem to dial out, because first I had to figure out how to mount and view the Windows partitions. I will start from scratch again if I have to, but would rather not. :(
Can someone please tell me what Hsynch and Vsynch values to use, or where to find them ?
Display adaptor is Sis 630/730 chip on motherboard
Monitor is Hewlett-Packard D2804 A Super VGA
Also, how do I get the sidescroll buttons not to cover the clock in the taskbar/systray/kicker/dock, or whatever its called ?