Knoppix Features - File Shredder
Greetings
I have a project coming up that is going to require me to erase several hard drives on some legacy systems before they are retired. The erase needs to be complete, preferably to DOD standards.
I’ve used Knoppix in the past to recover data on a blown HDD but does it have the ability to shred files built in?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. =^_^=
Re: Knoppix Features - File Shredder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vale
Greetings
I have a project coming up that is going to require me to erase several hard drives on some legacy systems before they are retired. The erase needs to be complete, preferably to DOD standards.
I’ve used Knoppix in the past to recover data on a blown HDD but does it have the ability to shred files built in?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. =^_^=
I had the same situation. I wanted it to be simple and fast. I used a DOS diskwipe tool from the DiskCleanup package availiable at: http://www.gregorybraun.com/CleanUp.html . I also used gdisk from Symantec Ghost.
I prepped a Win 98 bootdisk and wrote an autoexec.bat batch file like so:
Code:
@echo off
gdisk 1 /mbr /wipe /y
gdisk 1 /cre /pri /for /q /v:""
diskwipe c: /noprompt
gdisk 1 /mbr /wipe /y
pause
This would delete all partitions, create ONE partition and format it, wipe the disk and then use gdisk again to delete the partitions. The only problem I had was with a disk that had no partitions to start with. It required an extra step of creating a partition then rebooting - DOS is funky like that, not recognizing new drive letters on the fly. I also cut a CD and made it bootable with the same DOS floppy image for faster performance, CDROM's are much faster than floppies. This also won't do SECONDARY hard drives, you'll have to make an additional batch file for other drives.
There is also Linux solutions like http://dban.sourceforge.net/ that work well too. I elected a DOS solution cause we had a trained chimp wiping all the disks on the old junk PC's, this made it as easy as "inset floppy, turn on PC". :-)
Hope this helps.
----
Visit my homepage: http://www.cox-internet.com/stevedavis/ - BORING! ;-}