Hi All,
I'm new to knoppix, and also to linux. I've been a computer user for a lot of years though, so I more or less know my way around a desk top, and am a bit rusty with command line stuff in general.
Anyways, I've been sampling a few linux distros, and so far knoppix has impressed me more than just about everything else I've tried.
The thing is, I'm after building a server and have just got in some hardware for it. I would have just fallen for the old M$ line again, but then I thought, hold on, why dont I see if linux can be an alternative.
So there's the main question, can linux, and particularlly knoppix offer me an alternative way to do this, and still have the same functionality.
I won't reel off an endless list of hardware and hopes (just yet) as I imagine you'd have a better idea of what you'd need to know. But in brief, it's an Epia with dual nics built in and has 512Mb ram and a 250Gb Western Digital drive.
As for what I want it to serve, well, I want to know how much it can do, but my likely needs are at least catch mail, serve a web page and maybe ftp to go with that. Also I want it to act as a news server for the rest of the house, since my ISP have a poor news server and the only way to get the best out of it is to check in every 15 minutes and grab the latest in the few groups I take on a regualr basis, that way when I come to read it, the delays in service don't drive me crazy. I may wat to do other stuff as an when I find out about it and it seems useful.
I've been doing all this with Win2000Pro and a handful of cheaper shareware proggies on an aging PIII 667 for a couple of years, but I am painfully aware the the old girl will need a rest soon, and this new one will best be built before than gets to be an issue.
I understand knoppix has debian underneath, and that's had good press with a lot of folks I've talked to. I've just found out that I'm not clever enough with any of this for Gentoo type linux, I nearly got BSD woody to install, no, actually I got it to install, but coulnd't get it configured fully, but that ended up the same use as not installed in my book! ;O)
I need something as simple to work with as windows, but I'm not sure I want it to be from M$ anymore.
Thing that's buggin me most is that there's not all that much you can get on one CD, and I'm concerned I may be asking a bit much of knoppix (yes I guess you could download and installl some extra stuff, but I'm concerned that'd start making it get too complex for me again)
Is this likely to work out OK? I don't mind putting in the hours but sometimes the hours and effort get wasted because you just end up left high and dry, or at least that's been my linux experience so far; I don't think I'm up for too much more of that sort of waste. I need this to work, should I just crawl back under the rock that is windows, or is there a real potential of the kind I'm looking for here?
