New to linux, how do i compile from tarballs?
I used linux a bit back in college, but i was mostly just using software already on the system. now that i have it on my own system, i find that nearly every program on the market for it requires that i first compile the program to use it. How do i do so?
edit: added "from" to subject line for clarity.
Re: New to linux, how do i compile from tarballs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrus
I used linux a bit back in college, but i was mostly just using software already on the system. now that i have it on my own system, i find that nearly every program on the market for it requires that i first compile the program to use it. How do i do so?
edit: added "from" to subject line for clarity.
One more thing. You say that most programs require that you compile before you use them. Since you are new to Linux/Debian you might not know about apt. Currently there are over 13,000 packages available in the Debian repositories. Many programs that you will want to install will be included there. With Debian, installing them couldnt be easier. Simply do the following as root.
Code:
apt-get -s install name_of_program
I always use -s to simulate an install before I go ahead with it this way you can see if there are going to be any dependency conflicts or if there are going to be programs removed because of your install. If you don't get any messages about dependency problems and if no programs are going to be removed then simply hit the up arrow on your keyboard to bring up the previous command and remove the -s. Now when you hit enter the program will be downloaded and installed. If you end up with dependency problems or if you see that programs are going to be removed then try the following.
Code:
apt-get -s -t unstable install name_of_program
This should almost always work, but I still put the -s in there in order to simulate the install before I go through with it. If everything looks good, then simply hit the up arrow, remove the -s and hit enter. The program will be installed and dependencies will be satisfied. I suggest doing some more reading on apt. It's very powerful and one of the main reasons I use Debian.