Apt-get dist-upgrade paranoid!!!
Ok I need some help here
While doing an apt-get upgrade I got this message
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
root@Sphinux:/home/luis# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
ark arts artsbuilder cervisia kaboodle kaddressbook kalarm kalarmd kamera
kandy kappfinder karm kate kate-plugins katomic kaudiocreator kbabel
kbackgammon kcalc kcharselect kcoloredit kcontrol kdeaddons-kfile-plugins
kdeartwork-style kdeartwork-theme-window kdebase kdebase-bin
kdebase-kio-plugins kdegraphics kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs-bin
kdelibs-data kdelibs4 kdemultimedia kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins
kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim kdepim-libs kdeprint kdesktop
kdessh kdeutils kdf kdict kdm kdvi kedit kfax kfind kfloppy kget kghostview
kgpgcertmanager khelpcenter khexedit kicker kicker-applets kiconedit kjots
klaptopdaemon klipper kmahjongg kmenuedit kmid kmidi kmines kmix kmrml
knewsticker knotes kompare konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins
konsole kooka korganizer korn kpager kpaint kpersonalizer kpf kpilot
kpovmodeler kppp krdc krec krecord krfb kruler kscd kscreensaver ksim
ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash kstars ksync ksysguard ksysguardd ktalkd ktimer
ktip ktron kuickshow kview kviewshell kweather kwin kworldclock kxmlrpc
libarts1 libkcal2 libkdegames1 libkdenetwork2 libkgantt0 libkonq4
libkregexpeditor libkscan1 libqt3-helper libqt3-mt noatun noatun-plugins yaf
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 125 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/327kB of archives. After unpacking 332kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
root@Sphinux:/home/luis#
----------------------------------------------------------------------
What I want to know is, I am guessing that there are new packages available
that will upgrade my system to the newest debian/KDE woody available.
So if I use apt-get dist-upgrade will this erase the 125 packages,
and then reinstall all those packages automatically?
If not how do I get those packages back on my system to keep my system the way it is just upgraded?
Im just a little paranoid cause I dont want to screw up my system.
So if possible could someone just walk me through their experiences using
apt-get dist-upgrade?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Luis
Re: Apt-get dist-upgrade paranoid!!!
Your question seems fairly obvious, but since I've been known to ask a few slap-your-head-after-getting-the-answer questions I'll help you out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedmind
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 125 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/327kB of archives. After unpacking 332kB will be used.
This is the important part.
"1 packages upgraded" - this means there's a newer version on an install program or library on the server. If you choose to continue, apt-get will automatically download and install the new program or library over the old one.
"0 newly installed" - pretty obvious. There's nothing new that you don't already have.
"0 to remove" - no packages will be removed from your system at this time. This is what you were worried about?
"125 not upgraded" - these packages are current.
"Need to get 0B/327kB of archives. After unpacking 332kB will be used." - This is the total file size of the packages to be grabbed and then how much space they will take up after installation.
Oh, and if you've just installed from the CD you should first do an apt-get update to makes sure you list of package versions is current.