3rd IDE hard disk drive is not 'seen'
I have 3 IDE hard drives, but only 2 (hda and hdb) are 'seen' by the system.
The CDROM is 'slave' in the 'hdd' position.
There is not a hardware problem, as all my other distros (Caldera, Mandrake, RedHat, Slackware) 'see' and install to, or mount, hdc partitions as normal.
The problem is the same, whether running Knoppix from the CD, or with Knoppix installed on hard disk hda. The console error message when trying to mount an hdc partition is e.g :-
root@dads_pc:/home/dad# mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc9 /mnt/hdc9
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc9,
or too many mounted file systems
(could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
(hdc9 is a good ext2 partition for all the other distros!)
Can anybody suggest what needs to be done ?
Anyway, Knoppix is really impressive !
:)
system cannot see 3rd IDE drive hdc
Thanks for the replies.
Yes, I've done mkdir, and with and without explicit -t ext2.
Why so many distros & discs/partitions? "...let a thousand flowers bloom...". One of the joys of GNU/Linux is choice, to see which I like best for whatever application.
For various reasons I have W-98, W-NT and DOS on the PC as well (flame-bait, any-one?!) and keeping my 'older' discs gives more flexibility for their installation constraints, and places to put /boot partitions below the 1024 cylinder limits, etc.
I had only wondered whether knoppix has been 'customised' in some way, so that unlike all other distros I've found it does not 'see' hdc.
JohnnyH :)
Re: system cannot see 3rd IDE drive hdc
--Post results of ' fdisk -l '... Also make sure the drive is connected properly. If you can see it from other distros then I'd be baffled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyH
Thanks for the replies.
Yes, I've done mkdir, and with and without explicit -t ext2.
Why so many distros & discs/partitions? "...let a thousand flowers bloom...". One of the joys of GNU/Linux is choice, to see which I like best for whatever application.
For various reasons I have W-98, W-NT and DOS on the PC as well (flame-bait, any-one?!) and keeping my 'older' discs gives more flexibility for their installation constraints, and places to put /boot partitions below the 1024 cylinder limits, etc.
I had only wondered whether knoppix has been 'customised' in some way, so that unlike all other distros I've found it does not 'see' hdc.
JohnnyH :)