Persistent Home: Where's all my space?
I'm sure this is a silly question, but I've looked around a bit and I don't see the answer, so I decided to post a fresh question.
I installed 3.3 on a machine that only had 64Megs of RAM, but had a hard drive, so I made 256megs of swap space and a 650Meg persistent home directory. This is the first time I've used the persistent home script and I'm a bit confused about where the space is located.
Using the "du" command, I only see a few tens of megs in my Desktop or /knoppix directories. It looks like all they're seeing is the ramdisk space.
The persistent space I made was supposed to be 650Megs, but after downloading a few source packages and saving by running the save config script, the knoppix.img file that I see on the drive is still only about 200Megs.
And, when I try to download additional files into folders off the desktop it says there's no more space. So, where did it go?
Let me make re-phrase this in a simple way.
I see I've got twenty reads and zero responses. Maybe I should keep it simple.
If you do a persistent hard drive install and in the course of the script you say you want 600megs on hda1, then reboot and use knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 where should that 600megs be within the Knoppix filesystem? I assumed that would give me 600megs on the desktop or the knoppix user directory, but that didn't happen. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Well, thanks for the assurance its in /home/knoppix
But I went ahead and wiped out what was there and started over and it's the same.
I ran the persistent directory script and told it to give me 650Megs. When it was done, I went to /mnt/hda and I saw a knoppix.img file of 300megs. I'm not sure why it was only 300 megs, it's not because the disk was full. That disk is a 20Gig and only has a few files on it and was recently formatted as fat32. The last time I did this, my knoppix.img file was only 200 something megs. Perhaps this odd behavior is part of the problem.
Nonethless, I hooked up a samba share and tried testing the space by copying a 400meg file over to the /home/knoppix directory. It died of insufficient disk space at around 45megs. It seems that the system is only seeing the ramdisk space and not the persistent directory space.