Won't boot on an Omnibook 4250, blank screen, fake prompt
Am I missing something?
I am trying to boot up an Omnibook 4150 laptop with V3.3, and I keep getting the same result: No boot, no Knoppix screen,- just the Omnibook startup logo and then a black screen with a little blinking fake cursor, which doesn't actually register keystrokes, and beeps at me if I try to enter anything.
I've waited over an hour to see if it was just a slow startup, but there is no change.
I made sure that the boot order starts with CDROM. What am I missing?
Please help!
Re: Won't boot on an Omnibook 4250, blank screen, fake promp
Hi,
is there an OS on your harddisk? Maybe your computer tries to boot a missing OS from there. I have an Omnibook to, during BIOS startup I am able to change the boot order (via ESC). Another change is to update your BIOS (check www.hp.com).
Good Luck,
Al
Re: Won't boot on an Omnibook 4250, blank screen, fake promp
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulling
Am I missing something?
I am trying to boot up an Omnibook 4150 laptop with V3.3, and I keep getting the same result: No boot, no Knoppix screen,- just the Omnibook startup logo and then a black screen with a little blinking fake cursor, which doesn't actually register keystrokes, and beeps at me if I try to enter anything.
I've waited over an hour to see if it was just a slow startup, but there is no change.
I made sure that the boot order starts with CDROM. What am I missing?
Please help!
Quote:
please try :
knoppix noagp
or
knoppix noscsi
but HP 4150 has no sound. if you figure out, please let me know.
Re: Won't boot on an Omnibook 4250, blank screen, fake promp
Quote:
please try :
knoppix noagp
or
knoppix noscsi
but HP 4150 has no sound. if you figure out, please let me know.
Excellent: "knoppix noagp" worked on my Omnibook 4150 too, thanks!
(with Knoppix 3.3)
I got sound going by opening a shell once it had booted, and typing:
Code:
sudo su
insmod soundcore
insmod sound
insmod mpu401
insmod opl3 io=0x388
insmod ad1848 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
Kind of long-winded, but it works! The 'soundcore' and 'sound' modules were already loaded on mine - so you can probably do away with these two commands. Maybe the others can be simplified too, haven't played too much with that. Maybe they can be loaded at boot time also?