Newbies? These guys aren't newbies!
If those who post here are newbies, than what am I? Eternal moron or what?
Trying to venture into Linux can be a ...humbling experience. Even after you got somehow through your mental block, there's just so much to learn when all you did under Windows was the very basic stuff. I never looked beyond the applications I needed.
Well, I did get Knoppix started, here I am posting through Konqueror, although with some freak screen resolution with microscopic texts which "it" tells me will be changed to the one I set in the next session. Really? Next session of what? After rebooting? Like, the screen resolution I set will be changed after all data I entered will evaporate into the ether of the RAM? Don't think so darling.
But there is hope. There is a permanent home. One just has to find it! How to? Lots of people know! I'm not one of them <g>. I'd love to save my settings on floppy (which I managed to format yeahh), but I don't know how, and I don't know where it is explained how. I think I saw something in the FAQ, but that was for the other newbies, not this type of newbie.
But I did manage to check the md5 sum something... after downloading the windows tool for it... So at least I know my downloaded "image" was complete, so this can't be the reason my KDE crashes all over the place. Hello? I thought this stuff here doesn't crash? That is because, it never gets handeled by a REAL newbie! Those other newbies aren't real, perhaps the don't know what "loiwjer asfoiajsero_ljj" means, but they are not doubleclicking holes into their screens:-)
Lucky me, didn't have to configure any modems, that worked all by itself! Whoa!
However, my printer installation tells me to f... well not really, but it tells me: "Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused."
Darling, CUPS server? Let me have some peppermint tea over that, before I try and find a searchable help file with shaking hands.
But hey, I'm sitting in front of a desktop which tells me I'm running Linux, and that is for me the real brilliance behind the "LiveCD". There is absolutely NOW WAY I would have EVER installed Linux on my HDD, hence no way either for me to get familiar with it. But here I am, right in the middle of these magical first hours, playing around without the nervewrecking fear that I'll cause the box to explode.
I'll tell you that much, I have licked cherry-juice.
I'm vegan darling we don't do blood.