How to boot Knoppix 4.0.2 from a floppy?
I have a very old PC, I cannot go to the bios. (It's a Compaq DeskPro 2000, pentium 166). It has a floppy drive and a cd rom.
I also have a copy of Knoppix 4.0.2 on cd which I proved it is working on another PC. (that one can boot from the cd-rom).
Now, I try to run Knoppix from the old machine.
I read the FAQ, it says I can create 2 boot floppy disks by running mkbootfloppy.
So I boot up the Knoppix on the other PC and run the mkbootfloppy. The program starts but failed in the middle complaining about the floppy disk has problem. I know I try to format 1.44 M disk to 1.72 M. I tried all floppy I have on hand (not much, I only have 5 of them) Cannot make one work.
So I search the internet and find there is another solution. (the SBM).
I download the SBM and copy it to the floppy.
Put the SBM floppy and the Knoppix cd into the PC, turn on the machine.
After a while, the SBM screen appears. But I cannot find my CD rom from the list. Browse around the SBM application, and cannot find a way to boot from the cd-rom.
I have to confess here, I upgrade this PC cd-rom to a dvd-rom many years ago so I think the old machine does not see the dvd-rom. But if I boot the windows 95 from the harddisk, it can see the DVD rom.
The closest one I can find from the SBM application is that there is a screen asking me to put it two hex numbers for the cd-rom, but I don't know what numbers I should be enter here.
Any one can help? Or is there any other way beside the two I mentioned above?
Rgds,
Chip
Re: How to boot Knoppix 4.0.2 from a floppy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.ling
I read the FAQ, it says I can create 2 boot floppy disks by running....
You read the wrong FAQ, That is old, out of date information. See answer #1, read the booting from floppy information there and you'll have much better results. Can you give me a link to the information that told you to make 2 floppies? Maybe I can fix it or at least include the information to the one floppy method that never needs new floppies and virtually always works.
Re: How to boot Knoppix 4.0.2 from a floppy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.ling
I have a very old PC, I cannot go to the bios. (It's a Compaq DeskPro 2000, pentium 166).
It is not clear to me what I cannot go to the bios means. Compaq used some strange keyboard combinations to get to the BIOS, not the standard DEL at boot time, but you should be able to find the proper code. The information should be on-line at the Compaq site. Of course. the BIOS might not even have a boot from CD option, but you'll have to get to it to know.
summery of the topic after 1 weeks try and success at last
when Knoppix DVD was copy to HD, boot & run on HD, benifit and advantages:
1. faster,
2. easy to setup and modify, it would have a dual boot select menu like most boot loader do
3. safe, no need to touch the MBR of HD
4. convenient - now able to enjoy KNO anywhere with the laptop, not need to bring the extra disc - CD or floppy!!! this is the reason why I've spent lots of time in the search and try.
the tools and key points needed:
1. loadlin.exe, 1.6c verson. eventhough the v1.6 can boot redhat well, it could not work with Kno 4.02, it would said "incorrect compress format - err2" but with v1.6c it works well.
2. vfloppy, to boot to DOS prompt under win2K / XP without the need of actual floppy disc.
3. WinImage, to edit the disc image used in vfloppy.
4. in a normal win98 boot floppy image, lots of funs can find in editting the config.sys and autoexec.bat, to tailor the menu items you favourite the most.
5. the Knoppix.net gives lots of help in the debugging.
Re: How to boot Knoppix 4.0.2 from a floppy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.ling
I read the FAQ, it says I can create 2 boot floppy disks by running....
You read the wrong FAQ, That is old, out of date information. See
answer #1, read the booting from floppy information there and you'll have much better results. Can you give me a link to the information that told you to make 2 floppies? Maybe I can fix it or at least include the information to the one floppy method that never needs new floppies and virtually always works.
On or about June 12, 2006 I successfully downloaded the Knoppix v5.0.1 CD image via BitTorrent from Knopper.net's recommended site http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/. The download included the following five files:
KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso
KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso.md5
KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso.md5.asc
KNOPPIX-CHANGELOG.txt
knoppix-cheatcodes.txt
The last file (knoppix-cheatcodes.txt) contains the (outdated?) information regarding "two floppies." The fourth paragraph from the bottom states:
"If your BIOS does not support "no emulation boot" from CD, you can create
two bootable floppy disks by issuing (from Knoppix running on a different
machine) the command "mkbootfloppy", which will create a bootable
Kernel-disk plus a disk containing the initial ramdisk, which will be
prompted for at boottime."
I've read and re-read "Answer #1" and have been digging through these forums and Google regarding the no-boot from CD issue. The above source is one of at least three places I've seen the "two-floppy" answer. I have mixed feelings about the knoppix-cheatcodes.txt file (for version 4.0) being included in the recommended BitTorrent download of v5.0.1. Perhaps including a more pointed "No-boot from CD" text file would be helpful. I know this process takes time and a lot of effort. (I haven't checked to see if the knoppix-cheatcodes.txt file has been replaced by a newer one within the past week.)
I'm only posting this info here to (help?) answer your question about the (outdated?) info regarding the two floppies; it's apparently a common point of frustration.
Thanks for the good work :-)
Re: How to boot Knoppix 4.0.2 from a floppy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.ling
I read the FAQ, it says I can create 2 boot floppy disks by running....
You read the wrong FAQ, That is old, out of date information. See
answer #1, read the booting from floppy information there and you'll have much better results. Can you give me a link to the information that told you to make 2 floppies? Maybe I can fix it or at least include the information to the one floppy method that never needs new floppies and virtually always works.
Sorry for the double post . . . but it's related . . .
About halfway down the page at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html it states:
"How is KNOPPIX started?
To start the CD, set up the BIOS of your computer to boot off the CD, put the CD in the drive, and power up the computer. If your computer doesn't support this option, you have to use a boot disk. You can create this disk from the image in KNOPPIX/boot.img on the CD."
Does this still hold true for version 5.0.1? After re-reading "Answer #1" and Googling, I still can't figure out how to make this work.