[SCRIPT] Install nvidia-gfx-drivers while running from CD
Hi,
I've written some script, that allows you to install the nvidia-graphics drivers while running from CD.
It'll download all necessary files, will then compile the kernel module, will create an linked /usr-structure (that can take some time), patch your XF86Config, restart X.
So close all important applications, before starting the script!
And while its restarting X, it creates an knoppix.sh and nvidia.tbz (in /home/knoppix/dist/nvidia), which you can copy to the root of some partition (start with knoppix myconf=scan or knoppix myconf=/mnt/partition) or /cdrom/KNOPPIX and which will automatically set up the nvidia-drivers before starting X.
You can download the script here to compile it for yourself:
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/live/nvidia-live.sh
You can download knoppix.sh and nvidia.tbz for kernel 2.4.20 (Knoppix 06-06 and earlier) also here:
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/live/
This is done under the linux-exception of the nvidia-license, that the binaries can be redistributed as long as they are not changed.
Enjoy and test!
cu
Fabian
PS: This work is based on the ideas from Kano's scripts.
PPS: I have no nvidia-card, so I'm just following isntructions how it _could_ work. But I'm sure it will :-)
Re: [SCRIPT] Install nvidia-gfx-drivers while running from C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabianx
Hi,
I've written some script, that allows you to install the nvidia-graphics drivers while running from CD.
It'll download all necessary files, will then compile the kernel module, will create an linked /usr-structure (that can take some time), patch your XF86Config, restart X.
So close all important applications, before starting the script!
And while its restarting X, it creates an knoppix.sh and nvidia.tbz (in /home/knoppix/dist/nvidia), which you can copy to the root of some partition (start with knoppix myconf=scan or knoppix myconf=/mnt/partition) or /cdrom/KNOPPIX and which will automatically set up the nvidia-drivers before starting X.
You can download the script here to compile it for yourself:
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/live/nvidia-live.sh
You can download knoppix.sh and nvidia.tbz for kernel 2.4.20 (Knoppix 06-06 and earlier) also here:
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/live/
This is done under the linux-exception of the nvidia-license, that the binaries can be redistributed as long as they are not changed.
Enjoy and test!
cu
Fabian
PS: This work is based on the ideas from Kano's scripts.
PPS: I have no nvidia-card, so I'm just following isntructions how it _could_ work. But I'm sure it will :-)
We now had the first success.
It does work with the knoppix.sh and I can now even provide an multi-kernel knoppix.sh. (thx to sblock)
Download it here:
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/live/knoppix.sh
and
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/live/nvidia.tbz
Put both into the root of some partition and start with knoppix myconf=/mnt/partition
and "boom" :-) , you should have nvidia-drivers available.
But you can also install them with the script mentioned above ...
and now ppl, start testing. It was one of the most asked features, so come on :-).
cu
Fabian
PS: Again binaries are redistributed under the linux-exception of the nvidia-license.
install-nvidia.sh gone ??
Hi there,
Can anybody tell me what has changed with the nvidia scripts? There are new ones, but install-nvidia.sh is needed and not there anymore.
TIA
Re: install-nvidia.sh gone ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh_
Hi there,
Can anybody tell me what has changed with the nvidia scripts? There are new ones, but install-nvidia.sh is needed and not there anymore.
TIA
Please go to kano.mipooh.net and dl it :-) as you are on a hdinstall.
cu
Fabian