Why Knoppix 3.4 is delayed again ...
Hi,
I'm just back from vacation and want to inform you, why Knoppix is not out already:
1. We are over with 65 MB (KDE 3.2.1 is big!). So we need to delete some stuff, but what? (Proposals can be written based on last edition of 3.3 as programs almost remain the same, but get bigger ... :-/ )
2. The Debian-Menu is integrated into the K-Menu as an Submenu, which is not very nice. for KDE 3.1 we had an script to automatically integrate the "Debian-Programs" into the KDE K-Menu.
Klaus already asked on debian-knoppix mailinglist:
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermai...il/004953.html
But no one did answer. I'll try to make it work, but any help is appreciated.
3. You surely want to have the newest Kernel 2.6.5 and OpenOffice 1.1.1?
cu
Fabian
PS: Thats what _I_ know a the moment ...
Re: Why Knoppix 3.4 is delayed again ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabianx
You surely want to have the newest Kernel 2.6.5 and OpenOffice 1.1.1?
Yep, what about removing Koffice (Kword, Kexcel ...)? Since OO gives you much more options, what is the point to keep them both?
I vote for removing Koffice!
aleu[/quote]
Please Keep the Window Managers
It is one of the fantastic things about Linux that we have so many different WM/Desktop Environments to choose from. I'm working on a project using Knoppix to bring computer use to poorer countries, and one of the things I need to do is to provide stripped down desktops for the sake of simplicity/ease of use/language barriers. We cannot train people to use complex desktops from the beginning. I have found Window Maker to be the easiest to simplify. Also, please keep the terminal server in there - it is vital for us.
I would suggest removing a) _some_ games (I'm no gamer, but I can imagine they might be useful to some people) b) removing Koffice.
Perhaps better to stay with Mozilla until Thunderbird/Firebird are more established - and another way is found to free up space.
Knoppix is great, and is making our project possible. We also hope to raise funds, and will look to plough some of that back into Knoppix.
2 separate versions: CD and DVD
Why not have two separate versions? A minimalist CD version
with only one office suite, no LaTeX, etc. Personally, I would
like to see about 100MB of free space on the minimal version
for easier customization.
Another DVD version with the usual packages found on most distributions.
HIGH CAPACITY CDs - 800MB?
Forgive my asking - why not consider the high density CDs (800MB)? If the ISO is 765 or even 785 MB, it would still fit in one of these...
This way, the community can:
1. Get its hands on 3.4 and chill for a moment
2. Prepare for a wide and detailed questionnaire - WHAT IS HOT and WHAT IS NOT?, to consider for the next release... I myself am prepared to answer to ANY questionnaire the KNOPPIX team has in place.
All of the above have noted key points to consider. One thing I believe is most important though - KNOPPIX should remain easy-and-accessible for newbies. It is the first step we need to help with - take care of the newbies. ;)
Smith