Could you give any reference?Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderScore
Is it possible to subscribe to Debian-Knoppix mailing list? I cannot find its web archives ...Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderScore
Printable View
Could you give any reference?Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderScore
Is it possible to subscribe to Debian-Knoppix mailing list? I cannot find its web archives ...Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderScore
mount your hdd (let's say /mnt/sda1/ )Quote:
Can the unionfs data be written to HDD directly through mount of HDD
create some dir where you want to put the overlay (/mnt/sda1/union)
add the branch
make the ramdisk read-only to unionfsCode:unionctl /UNIONFS/ --add /mnt/sda1/union/
note:Code:unionctl /UNIONFS/ --mode /ramdisk ro
/home and /tmp are not mounted in the union, the still point diretly to the ramdisk
(for whatever reason - maybe someone can clear this up for me)
Knoppix 3.8. CeBIT edition Spanish customization here:
www.knoppix-es.org
some mirrors.
Regards
Victor Alonso
General results with UnionFS.
I downloaded ~100MB of applications via -apt-get as follows;
apt-get update
apt-get install (enlightenment,amarok,cinepaint,digikam,festival,g eomview,kweather)
Each app was installed separately.
My RAM at the time was 1GB. The system guard indicated around 719MB in use.
I then installed another 1GB of ram after shutdown.
I attempted to run the CD in toram mode. I received an error message stating that required ram was 2085169K and that I had only 2075112K of ram. It did not load toram. EDIT: This was caused by using a "split".iso DVD+RW disc which created a break in the TORAM loading scripts. The TORAM mode performs well in a normal Knoppix3.8 CD burn. I forgot I was using the "split" version....NEVER MIND!
I then installed 3GB of ram which enabled the loading toram. However, an error occurred in KDEinit which did not initiate the desktop. The error message stated that I was in need of 82MB of ram or some such. EDIT: Again, this occurred with the "split" format of Knoppix3.8.
The strange behavior in loading toram doesn't make much sense. EDIT: Now it does!!
Has anyone a clue to the reason for this? Bad ram? EDIT: Mebbe not!
Evidence provided by the exercises I described indicates the Unionfs might well download into Knoppix3.8CD boots up to 2+GB of apps with a 3GB ram system.
Many of the apps need be obtained from other than Debian sources.
EDIT: If one has many GB's of swap in addition, you can "choke" on the added apps!!!!!
It seems apparent that regardless of the ram size, Unionfs allows swap use.
Provide a big swap file and you get a big download capability.
Below is the isolinux.cfg with the correct changes to make the CD us language and us keyboard. Just replace the the file on the ISO image and joila.
DEFAULT linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
TIMEOUT 300
PROMPT 1
DISPLAY boot.msg
F1 boot.msg
F2 f2
F3 f3
LABEL knoppix
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL expert
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce BOOT_IMAGE=expert
LABEL memtest
KERNEL memtest
APPEND initrd=
LABEL knoppix-txt
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=normal initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL debug
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=normal initrd=minirt.gz BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL fb1280x1024
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=794 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL fb1024x768
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL fb800x600
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=788 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL failsafe
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=normal atapicd nosound noapic noacpi acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nousb nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nomce nodhcp xmodule=vesa initrd=minirt.gz BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL userdef
KERNEL linux
APPEND ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ###########
Hello! Thank you for making the Win-bootable version of Knoppix 3.8! Do you have the MD5 sum for the Knoppix iso? When I downloaded from torrent, all there was was the ISO itself. This is directed at chris_uk who made the QEMU version, but anyone who has the MD5 (and is *sure* that it comes directly from the original) is welcome to post it. Thx.
The "unauthorized" torent people have unfortunately not been posting one. The good news is that Bittorrent itself does a lot of file checking of what it downloads, and it never tries to translate new lines to CR/LF pairs, so you are much more likely to have a good copy of the ISO when you download by Bittorent than when you get it from the mirrors. That said, I applaud your effort to check the md5 sum. I believe that I have the ISO that you are interested in. Since there was no md5 posted I have created one myself. Note that my CD works but that I don't have the tons of memory needed for the running under windows option, so I can not confirm that that part works. here's what I got when I calculated the MD5 sum:Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtm
-------------
# MD5 checksums generated by MD5summer (http://www.md5summer.org)
# Generated 3/26/2005 12:16:43 PM
5ac0c37819e3eef508f9ac51357d7c40 *KNOPPIX_V3.8-2005-02-28-CeBIT_Edition-qemu-0.6.1-2.iso
There's some problem with the seed. I could only download 99.6% of it.Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-uk
Please advise...
Jason :cry: