drop all WMs, just keep KDE, GNOME, FLUXBOX.
drop KOFFICE keep OPENOFFICE
Printable View
drop all WMs, just keep KDE, GNOME, FLUXBOX.
drop KOFFICE keep OPENOFFICE
Perhaps we should simply have a number of versions? For instance, a CD with 2.4, a CD with 2.6, and a DVD image? I also like the idea of a limited APT setup, utilizing the RAM. Then again, a comp with more RAM would be able to get more apps than one with less.
As far as features go, ATI/Nvidia drivers, ALSA, and support for Broadcom/Atheros/Prism wireless cards (mini PCI too) I would very much like to see as I frequently use Knoppix on my Laptop. Many games are good for conversion as well. Redundant software and more than one or two text editors should be done away with as well. I also support adding FireFox and Thunderbird, as opposed to mozilla. Also, for backup purposes how about a good gui-based CD/DVD burning? Being able to read off a NTFS disk for instance, and recover data from it and burn to CD or DVD under knoppix would be great. I think K3b has worked pretty well thus far, so how about a newer version if one exists? As of right now I can't get data off my mounted NTFS disk with the current K3b.
I'm really looking forward to new versions of Knoppix!
Come on now, Klaus! We're tired of waiting for Knoppix 3.4 and it shouldn't be so complex to drop KOffice or whatever. You're the boss and you can read the posts in here, so just go ahead and delete whatever and get the damn release out NOW!
I'm sure I'm not the only one getting tired of this show.
Anyway, I don't understand the lack of space. Why are there multiple shells, browsers, office suites, a tee timer (small but totally useless), and now several kernels? Why not just drop kernel 2.4, some shells, KOffice, and some of the small (IMHO useless) programs?
Do whatever you like Klaus, just do it real soon!
Klaus,
Thank you for spending you time so that all of us can download this valuable product for free. I hope that our input has been helpful. Please take your time. Whatever time you need. Some people might get too excited and make demands because they are anxious. Please take this as a complement, not a sign of lack of appreciation.
Remove these 3.3 packages in the upcomming 3.4:
Remove KDE's support for different languages. Keeping only english and german. Remove czech, danosh, spanish, french, italian, japanese, dutch, polish, russian and trurkish. It will save over 100 Mb (uncompressed).
Remove gcc-2.95 and cpp-2.95. Nerds will still do their own remastering or hd-install.
Remove xpdf, since acroread is better.
Sitll not enough? Start looking at firefox in place of Mozilla, and maybe remove KOffice.
I do appreciate Klaus Knoppers work but the Knoppix 3.4 release date has been pushed back for more than a month now. I expected to come home from my easter holiday to find Knoppix 3.4 released. All I got was a new pushed deadline.
Give us a date once and for all now!
Getting rid of hdinstall utilities is a mistake. One thing KNOPPIX is good at is as a Debian Intallation CD.
As to bloat, I thought we had this arguement long ago. Wasn't KNOPPIX going to be KDE specific and drop GNOME? There is a GNOPPIX project out there for that! I mean, don't just drop the GNOME desktop, but all its related apps and libs. Many liveCD distros keep tons of libs so you can run all those apps. Well, get rid of the apps so you can get rid of the libs and the bloat!
BTW, adding a KNOPPIX service for installing nvidia would be nice! How about a service for starting an ftp server or an apache server?
TIA,
AJG
The following is my wish list because I also use them in Windows:
Gaim
Mozilla (and it's mail features)
OpenOffice
XMMS (not the same as Winamp but the GUI is virtually identical)
Hello there!
As far as I could see, most people here didnt bother to concider what Knoppix is actually for or might become..
Before I'd start to tink about what to remove this is the first step:
I understood: Knoppix is used as a Demo for people that have no experience with Linux AND for rescue-reasons.
It is NOT a real Distro although it is possible to copy it to HD.
Whats more: There are a few people that do really work HARD for something that everybody can enjoy for free.
Concidering this I come to these possible solutions:
The Live-CD needs to be compatible to as many Systems as possible (drivers etc)
As a Demo it needs to have a selection of serveral games. (dont tell what your favourites are, because it will be different with everybody), they dont need that much space anyway
The CD has to be used as easy as possible for the all-day-work (wordprocessing, internet, etc) [great job here up till today!!]
Important is also the speed. You cannot use programs that need minutes to start and work with, BUT the compatibility is far more important. As a newbie I wouldnt want a fast program that cannot display my MSWord files properly.
I'd get rid of programs that are the same kind (99 - 100 % the same!!) and are not able to be speedy and or compatible enough!
One program is enough to handle for a newbie.
As a rescue-disk it needs to have certain tools that can rescue Data on serveral media (CD, DVD, ZIP Disk, USB-Disk, external hds and everything important I might have forgotten) and modification tools, network tools and so on. I think I dont need to tell you what I mean because you might know that much better than me!!
There are serveral programs which are really usefull on a HD - Install but are not really usable from CD as well as the other way around.
Now thats a tough one.
On a HD Install the pro's are easily able to install what they need or take a disto of their preference but what about the newbies?
My suggestion would be: a small selection while installing:
- install the CD
- install the CD WITH additional usefull tools from the internet (only with cheap / fast Internet connection)
As for the DVD: Remember me talking about compatibility? ;-)
But a DVD distro once in a while would be really fine by me. Remember also: it doubles or even triples the work to be done here!!
Maybe there are some willing people to take over the work for special releases? like an USB - version or a 250 MB release for small CDs and of course a DVD release? I cant do it. I'm somewhat a user but cannot remaster or understand fully what I do here ;-))
Whatever you do: it is good that you take your time! I hate a software release that should be on alpha stadium and is called 1.0...
Keep up the amazing work! Hope I gave you some ideas.
PS: If there are some things I got wrong you can tell me. It is possible because I am new to this world although I gained a bit experience. Don't flame, just write a pm or somthing...
Back again. I view the DVD as the worst possible mistake. It provides to much space and opportunity for bloat. We will have multiple everything.
Presently there is 2GB of apps packed on a single CD. The DVD would permit 12-14GB of material. It would require a data base to keep track of and simply overwhelm most users. We can locate that quantity of material any day on the web, if we want to wade through and organize it.
There have been several who council one of each. To bury the multiplicity of apps which perform the same function.
Amen!
The multple applications for the same function are a confusion factor to the noob and the lazy. People with strong opinions that the provided single application isn't the one they want should be able to find and install the one they prefer.
I have installed serveral word processors in the past and really never gotten beyond Open Office. It does what I want and the purported advantages of abiword and the others are not pressing enough to encourage me to spend the time to get comfortable with them. If I get inspired to try or need a feature from a new word processor, apt-get and the debian resources can address my needs. I feel the same is true for other types of applications.