got presario 2100 to go .. using latest knoppix but i mus use the following cheat code
knoppix26 acpi=off noscsi
i still cant get knoppix to find my wireless card it is the following...
SMC2532W-B
any help i would appreciate it
Printable View
got presario 2100 to go .. using latest knoppix but i mus use the following cheat code
knoppix26 acpi=off noscsi
i still cant get knoppix to find my wireless card it is the following...
SMC2532W-B
any help i would appreciate it
Knoppix 3.4 works fine with Acer TM290 (ATI): both kernel 2.4 and 2.6
Knoppix 3.6 does not work well; it often freezes.
tabe,
RMS rev 2 30 Aug 2004
HEllo Knoppix 3.4 (linuxTag only) is working in:
NEC VERSA m300!!!!
there is a sound problem with trident module.. USE ALSA!!!! works great!!!
I have aproblem!!! I compiled by myself kernel 2.6.2 I installed it and always after checkbios OK appears a blank screen and nothing happends!!!!!
somebody knows about this problem??? I didn;r find anything around!!!
thanks
goyoantifa ---- [email protected]
Hey,
Dual booting Knoppix 3.3 & crappy-Windows XP on:
IBM Thinkpad T30 (Pentium 4m) 512MB, 40Gb HD
Works fine with HD install and CD but I havent 'played' with it properly yet ;)
I have a Presario 2100US.It works well with KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16 with the following cheatcode:
knoppix26 nolapic noscsi
The nolapic option lets acpi work,something that didn't with earlier
versions.
The noscsi option is necessary for knoppix to set up the nic properly.
The built-in wireless nic works with ndiswrapper.
I have successfully used a netgear wg511 wireless card with this version.
If I had thought to take a Knoppix cd to the store,I'd have never bought this laptop.On the otherhand,it's forced me to learn alot.I've installed debian,knoppix and mandrake successfully on it.
I recently used Knoppix to "ghost" the hard drive in this laptop to a faster one.
Great tool.
I've got Damn Small Linux running on a TI Extensa-450.
486 DX4/75
12MB RAM
540MB Hard Drive (about 160 of that is DOS 6.22 / WfW 3.11)
Datastor parallel port 8X CD-ROM Drive
3COM 3CCFE574BT 10/100 PCMCIA NIC
Since the floppy drive is defective and can only read 720K disks despite being a 1.44MB drive, I had to stick the hard drive in another computer, the one I use as my hardware testing station, to actually do the Linux install (that's one of the things I love about Knoppix and Knoppix derivatives, unlike Windows, it is portable. No need to have to do a fresh reinstall every time you do any major hardware changes). Also, due to the limited amount of RAM for now, I am relegated to console mode. However, I do have a nice set of text-only packages installed. I just wish I could find a console-based text editor that can handle RTF formatted files.
Once I can get a bigger hard drive (say somewhere between 3 and 5GB), and get a pair of 16MB 72-Pin laptop DIMMs, I should be able to run X with a lightweight WM like Fluxbox.
Almost forgot. I just added another PCMCIA card to the collection that I scored at Goodwill today (too bad this computer only has one card slot, but for $5.00, I couldn't pass up a good 16 bit PCMCIA card). This one is a Lucent Orinoco Silver Wireless LAN adapter. I was very pleased to see DSL autoprobe the card and load the drivers, whereas, I am now on a frustrating hunt for WfW drivers for it. I'll be giving it a full test tomorrow. I found out our local library has a free wireless access hot spot, so I will be heading down that way tomorrow.
Tried the T41 with 3.4 (both kernels) and it boots fine, but screen resolution never better than 1024x768 regardless of cheat codes. Also failed to detect Intel wireless pro 2100, and refused to load module.
D/L'd the 3.6 version and used the 2.6.7 kernel -- detected the wireless pro 2100 immediately! :lol: No joy on the screen at first, but after experimenting, found that all I needed was:
knoppix26 screen=1400x1050 (I also use home=scan myprofile=scan) and it is perfect!
I'm using 3.6 on a Toshiba Satellite CDT 4030 - Celeron 300MHz, 192MB RAM, 4GB harddisk, so really nothing special, but it works flawlessly with the 2.4.x kernel.
On my other notebook, an assembled Centrino 1.7MHz with 512MB RAM, I had 3.6 up and running, but that's no surprise - Knoppix doesn't seem to like the Intel Pro 2200, though. When they fixed some minor defect, they replaced the Intel Pro 2100 by the 2200 - nice kind of service, but since then WLAN support is gone, so I'm lost (unless I use the PC card from the other notebook, but that's not the idea behind having a Centrino, is it...)
The driver for that seems to be in the making... http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ I'm going to install 3.6 on the new notebook using a 2.6.x kernel, so I'll be able to try the driver.
And there's also hope for one wlan PC card I haven't been able to use, either: The 3com 802.11a/b/g 3CRPAG175 using the Atheros chip set: http://www.atheros.com/news/linux.html - the linux project doesn't have any files published except cvs snapshots, so I'll have to wait...
Knoppix 3.6 seems to work pretty well on my Dell Inspiron 5100 so far. I'm just starting to play with it. This is like learning a different language after using windows. The only gripe i have so far is the touch pad, I would like to disable the tap to click function but haven't discovered how yet.
HP Pavilion zv5200
Knoppix 3.6 (release 2004-08-16) seems to be OK.
Needed to boot: knoppix nodma
Ethernet works
Sound doesn't work out of the box