Is it possible to make binary patches to ISO's that would relieve me from downloading 700MB every week?!?!
Printable View
Is it possible to make binary patches to ISO's that would relieve me from downloading 700MB every week?!?!
Indeed. That would be a very very nice feature.Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong
However, I'm wanting to use knoppix as a hard drive installed linux, I'm loath to install this release as I'm sure that another version will be out next week, so I'll have to download 700mb, reinstall knoppix hd install, apt-get my apps, reinstall my apps etc etc. Pity it isn't possible to do a "system update" with a hard drive installed knoppix, which goes to a knoppix mirror and just updates what has changed, so you would just need to do one hd install, then keep up to date by say, "sudo knoppix-update"
--
Brian
If everything is working fine for you, why do you need to download a new image. As Klaus says in the changelog, these are minor updates. If the changes are not an issue for you, then I would not worry about downloading the newest iso.Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong
However, you could possibly use rsync - it would only download the parts of the ISO that had changed. It's worth a try.
Won't work since it's a compressed filesystem.Quote:
Originally Posted by TyphoonMentat
Hmmm, thats a good point! I think I'll ignore any more minor updates to knoppix 3.4, and get on with using linux! :DQuote:
Originally Posted by aay
--
Brian
its useless to update your hdinstall, its an debian system. and debian is the master if it's about upgrading. once you have installed debian (with knoppix, in this case) you essentially will never have to install debian again. debian offers smooth upgrades, even from major versions, even between several major versions. you can install packages from several major versions at a time, without problems, etc etc. so use this advantage, instead of whining about the new knoppix features ;-)
Is the live installer a "Poor mans" install script? and if so is it the "other option" in the knoppx-installer dialog box ( I went with the recommended install) and if it is a poormans script which type of poor man script is it? I have several machines to set up and due to hardware restrictions think the poorman script may be best for many of them.Quote:
Originally Posted by aay
Thanks
Netgear Network card not using the right driver and freezing at boot still present in latest release:
BQuote:
Hi
as with the first 3.4 release I am not able to boot 2 PC's with the 2.6 kernel. Both of them boot properly with the 2.4 kernel.
With 2.6 the PC's freeze completely (not even Ctrl-Alt-Del work) on the network adapter:
...
Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP
...
Both PC's have a Netgear FA310-TX card (DEC 2114x) which has worked with Xandros, Debian and Mandrake 10(with 2.6 kernel). With the 2.4 kernels it usually used the tulip driver from D.Becker but with Knoppix 3.4 and kernel 2.4 it actually uses:
...
eth0: DC21140 at 0xec00 (PCI bus 0, device 9), h/w address 00:40:05:42:c3:40,
and requires IRQ15 (provided by PCI BIOS).
de4x5.c:V0.546 2001/02/22 [email protected]
...
Will get Mandrake 10 back on one of these to see what they are using in their 2.6 kernel.
P.S. Mandrake 10 is using the tulip driver:
....
Linux Tulip driver version 1.1.13 (May 11, 2002)
PCI: Found IRQ 15 for device 0000:00:09.0
tulip0: EEPROM default media type Autosense.
tulip0: Index #0 - Media MII (#11) described by a 21140 MII PHY (1) block.
tulip0: MII transceiver #0 config 1000 status 782d advertising 01e1.
eth0: Digital DS21140 Tulip rev 34 at 0xec00, 00:40:05:42:C3:40, IRQ 15.
....
Hi there,
it seems that I'll never be able to try this new knoppix... :cry:
I downloaded the first release and it wouldn't boot. Yesterday I downloaded the latest release and still I can't use it! It wouldn't boot unless I tried the failsafe mode, and when it booted in failsafe, it got stuck on the video card driver. I have an ATI Radeon Mobility U1 which is a bit of a problem with Linux, but I've always managed to use a vesa driver. With Knoppix 3.4 the vesa driver wouldn't work (but it does work with Knoppix 3.3 which I am using now).
Hope things will get better soon! :)
Bye,
A.