HP Laptop working...mostly.
Hello everyone,
I am a very new newbie to linux for anything other than 8086 text only modes, but I am getting back at it. (Mostly out of sheer disrespect for Microsoft --- but that is a whole 'nuther subject.)
I have an HP ZD7188CL Intel 3.2GHz CPU with 2GB memory. Trouble hardware is the integrated Broadcom wireless adapter and the digital media reader.
Tried Knoppix live CD and everything except the digital media reader works. I say that reservedly as I have used the ndiswrapper to get the integrated wireless working. (Thanks to all the forum posts!!)
On boot up I have to specify, "Knoppix noscsi acpi=off". Without this the system goes into a boot, reboot sequence forever.
The Knoppix DVD also works as above, but external USB hard drive is not recognized without a PCMCIA card installed. I don't know if there is some internal issue creating this or not yet.
I will be working on the video next as I can only use 1024x768 mode right now and the screen under Winblows supports 1440x900. Once that is resolved I will move on to the media reader.
With all the help from the group I have used this far and more in the future, I will remaster a CD and/or DVD and repost the image wherever appropriate. (when everything works that is)
Thanks to everyone that has posted on similar hardware. Cheers, GSBeers