-
hi
i'm new to the board and hope to learn alot. that being said, i have a simular problem. i have an abit board with the onboard nvidia soundstorm audio. in the control center i get sound when i click the test button, but not the midi test button. cd audio won't play in any of the audio programs installed with the knoppix distro(hdd installed) but will play with the xine program only. i ran the soundcard config program(the one that warns you about running in x window) and it recognized the sound chip but stated that it wasn't supported. but i do get sound with xine. any ideas on this will be appreciated. TIA
-
In order to get the onboard AC97 sound working from Hard disk install, you will have to do the correct installation. As U are aware that if U boot from CD using "knoppix alsa" at booth prompt, that sound works fine. So U boot from CD using "knoppix alsa" and then do the HD installation. U can also make the Boot floppy during install and then U will find that sound will work even from HD install.
I have got that working last night.
-
Xwrapper3:
Hey, I had exactly the same problem, and as far as I know I am using the oss drivers. Everything worked great from a CD boot, but I could only get sound from xmms and that "test sound" button in the KDE control centre after a hdd install.
I'm not sure exactly what I did.
Try editing ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc
Code:
[StartProgress]
Arts Init=true
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=true
I messed mine up by setting an external player in "Player Settings" and then KDE wouldn't let me remove it again, and had to edit this config file. I don't know what the default settings of this file were, but it seems to work okay for me know.
[after this and before i noticed the sound was working fine, I booted with the 2.6.6 kernel which seemed to have more luck with my soundcard (but not with anything X) so I don't know if this triggered something instead]
k.