HI. Klik is cool but what about those of us that are allergic to KDE? We feel neglected I tell you! :) How can we help?
Printable View
HI. Klik is cool but what about those of us that are allergic to KDE? We feel neglected I tell you! :) How can we help?
ProBono,
Not sure if you did something different, but it seems to really be working well now. I was able to add bibletime and a couple of other items. This is a VERY nice development.
Keep up the good work, and thanks for your time and efforts on this project.
Regards,
~pau1
More apps I just tested:
klik://gtkguitune
Guitar and other instruments tuner
klik://gtodo
GNOME to-do list manager
klik://hardinfo
Displays system information
klik://kanjipad
handwriting recognition tool for Kanji
klik://kbarcode
A KDE Barcode Creation And Printing Application
klik://lpairs
The Classic »Memory«-Game
klik://mgapdesk
X configuration tool for Matrox video card
klik://qps
Qt based process status
klik://regexplorer
Visual regular expressions editor
klik://rubrica
An addressbook for the GNOME desktop
klik://beast
music synthesis and composition framework
klik://camorama
Gnome2 tool to view, alter and save images from a webcam
klik://etherape
Graphical network monitor modeled after etherman
...and games: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=60026
Seems like IntelliPatch (patching binaries intelligently) really improves serverside-apt... :)
On http://klik.berlios.de there is now a technology preview of serverside-apt which offers all debian-apps with klik links.
Users have reported that the following work:
klik://airstrike
kik://junior-kde
klik://superkaramba
kik://lincity
klik://kworldclock
klik://ktron
klik://lgeneral (there are no games to load)
kik://xpacman
klik://xemeraldia
klik://vectoroids
klik://black-box
klik://electric
klik://ksimus
klik://pcb
klik://klogic
klik://karpski
klik://materm
Wonderful work, probono!
I noticed the serverside apt install of liferea works, however it installs .4.6, whereas the .deb on the liferea site is up to version .6
I don't understand how serverside apt works with regard to where it retrieves the .deb file, so my question is: would it be possible for me to modify anything on my system in order to install the more recent .deb file?
Hi redss,
currently klik uses snapshots from early this year as its debian repositories in order to maintain compatibility with Knoppix 3.3, which some people (including myself) consider the most usable.
I am working on a solution of this problem, but in the meantime, I don't know of an easy solution.
Greetings,
probono
I'm still a bit confused. I'm new to Knoppix and I stumbled across Klik when looking for an easier way to install packages, other than apt-get.
Question 1: Can users who install packages using klik update them using apt-get update or do you have to re-install a new version each time a point release comes out?
Question 2: If each directory has all the dependencies needed for the application to run, then I'm assuming that users who download packages using klik will have multiple instances of the same dependencies (as opposed to sharing them when using apt-get the traditional way), thus taking up more hard drive space, right?
Thanks in advance!
-Alexander
If you want a newer version of the application, you klik it again. Note that you can keep the old version and install the new cmg in parallel if you so wish. Each cmg is treated as an independent unit.Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSFBay
No, each library that is in the base system is not installed again with each application (unless it requires a newer version than what is in the base system).Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSFBay
So if a new library is required for a klik application, will it update the base? Or will klik have the newer dependencies placed in the program's directory and leave the old dependencies (later version) in the base for other applications? (I hope that makes sense -- my terminology may not be quite right)Quote:
Originally Posted by probono
klik never touches the base system (by design), so it leaves the old lib in the base system. This assures that klik never breaks the system.