-
hi transistordude.
Ask 3 linuxer, and you get 4 opinions.
Here is mine :)
For two machines, dhcp is overkill.
It needs setup too, and will consume resources.
I use static IPs and it's fine and easy.
To make the servername usable, edit /etc/hosts on both machines, and insert
Code:
192.168.1.3 fmobile.transistordude.net fmobile
192.168.1.2 tower.transistordude.net tower
And I don't need a router - just a switch to connect two computers.
Samba:
A lot of people integrate linux into their windows net.
They use samba as a fileserver. Hm.
Why don't they throw away their windows? Don't know.
For a linux-net, there is no need for samba.
Use nfs to share directories.
Start a ftp-server.
Use ssh, sshd, scp and all that jazz.
Unix is a networking system for decades with appropriate solutions for different tasks.
Lisa:
When windows-users join linux, they often ask, why things are so complicated in linux.
Lisa shall solve this problem: Make linux windows-alike.
I don't like lisa.
It's windows-alike.
Btw.: I have a blue x-link cable and 3 grey ones.
For the blue one, I needn't follow the route, to see where it ends.
Having different colors makes it more easy to follow.
Having all x-link-cables yellow, and the normal ones blue helps error-prevention.
And colored cables are much nicer to look at.
:)
-
I really recommend you use fish protocol to connect your computers. It uses secure shell server (ssh) & once set up all you have to do is type 'fish://<username>@192.168.<whatever the ip for the other computer is>'
in konqueror address box & you will be rewarded with the root dir of the other system in the browser. Much easier then samba (usually used only for connecting to windows systems although you can samba linux boxes together) or NFS (generally limited to file sharing from home directory only).
See the "I need help networking my two computers" in this forum post for ssh setup help.
As for connecting the two computers together, I use a router but then I'm on broadband internet.