does anyone have any recomended progames i should use... also... is there a scan disk equivalent in knoppix?
Printable View
does anyone have any recomended progames i should use... also... is there a scan disk equivalent in knoppix?
'scan-disk' eqivalent is probably fsck which Knoppix runs a brief check every boot and athrough one every 30 boots. No worry about it, it's taken care of!Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-harry
'does anyone have...': this isn't windows, you don't have to exchange pirate programs with other users; all are freely available using apt-get or kpackage.
Open a console, then type 'su' to become root (administrator), then type 'dselect update'. Now go for coffee.
When you come back, your 'sources list' of available programs will be updated.
Now start kpackage. It's under the 'systems' or the 'setting' menu on the start menu (I forget which; I'm not in Linux right now). Set the listing for 'all' and browse around to see what is available & install what you want.
I believe you mean to run upgrade before you send him off for coffee.Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
Update only updates the list of what is avaible. Upgrade, well upgrades the programs.
OOO, this mini.iso sounds interesting. How does this work?
TIA,
AJG
No, I meant update.Quote:
Originally Posted by firebyrd10
Upgrade will upgrade all EXISTING packages to the latest versions, he is looking for new packages. Update will renew the available package lists so he can see what is available. He has to update the package lists before apt-get will work correctly, some packages may have been moved (from unstable to testing, for example) and apt has to know where they are in order to find them.
Upgrade will probably cause him all kinds of problems, especially if his Knoppix version is old by even a month or two. It will likely need 200+Meg of download (a looooong coffee break) and will ask for replacing a few config files which may cause all kinds of grief if not done correctly (in most cases this means keep the existing config files). It is best avoided until he is more experienced. Individual packages & their dependencies will be upgraded as they are installed.
[/b]
Ok, now I see what you mean.Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
A. Jorge: Just burn it and reboot like knoppix. It's debian's new installer. Just pick what version to install (stable, testing, unstable) and then where to install. It'll download the core OS then apt-get everything else.
so... first send it on an updating round... walk down to the shops (not that far, only 5km). buy some coffy. walk back... have several coffies... play some games... the walk back to computer and check if it has finished... YAY! What fun. :D:D (not being sarcastic)Quote:
a looooong coffee break
Some times I wish I was as easily amused as you. :lol:Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-harry
Though I doubt the update will take that long.
Yeah. Use Cedega (the new name for winex) I got the debian package off of giFT, or you might be able to find it on Suprnova, or some other bittorrent thing. I had a problem with the Debian package with my fromhd PMI install, because my hard drive isn't writeable. Anybody know how to fix this?
What is the difference between apt-get update and dselect update?Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedAgain