Here's a question: I've got Knoppix 3.6 HD installed. Since I'm behind a router, how should I go about configuring Knoppix/KDE to use 192.168.1.1 as a gateway to the Internet?
Printable View
Here's a question: I've got Knoppix 3.6 HD installed. Since I'm behind a router, how should I go about configuring Knoppix/KDE to use 192.168.1.1 as a gateway to the Internet?
Yes you need to configure your gateway to your router ip. It can be done using network card configuration utility under knoppix icon or manually edit /etc/network/interfaces. Another thing to check is /etc/resolv.conf, this is where your DNS server name reside. Some ISP need you to set their dns so you can surf net.
To run apache, run this command in root konsole : /etc/init.d/apache start.
To start apache on every boot automatically, run in root konsole: update-rc.d apache default
To remove apache from every boot: update-rc.d -f apache remove
Your webpages should be in /var/www by default, only root has access to this directory. You can change this default directory to somewhere else by editing /etc/apache/httpd.conf.
To make live easier while working in kde, you might want to install service menus. I would suggest, Open as root, it makes it easier you to access folder as root. You can get it from http://www.kde-apps.org/
Thats about it. :D :D :D :D
one last linux noob question: i set up my swap partition in PartitionMagic and formatted the target partition as Ext3 in PartitionMagic as well. Now that it's HD installed, is there anything special i have to do to "activate" the swap, or does it do that by itself automatically? (the swap is on 'hda3')
Swap partitions are different.
I didn't use partition-magic for years, but make partitions with fdisk, where I choose a number for a linux-swap from a list - I try to remember it as 83, while normal linux-partitions are 82 - but not sure.
For the swapdrive I then call
and finallyCode:mkswap /dev/hda3
Code:swapon
heres another question: when i enter:
mkswap /dev/hda3
it works just fine, but when i enter:
swapon /dev/hda3
i get this message:
swapon: /dev/hda3: Device or resource busy
is swap on? how do i tell if it is on? what does this error message mean?
P.S. Thanks everyone for your help thus far.
swapon /dev/something
isn't used, but
my suggestion (swapon solely) wasn't correct too.Code:swapon -a
shows if it's used.Code:swapon -s
Your swap partition being used by knoppix. Usually knoppix will autodetect swap partition and use it.Quote:
swapon: /dev/hda3: Device or resource busy
:D :D
thanks for the help, my knoppbox runs great now! I now have a few apache-related questions.
I've used apache before under Win2k Pro, but never before under *nix. I'm getting some weird errors when i start apache:
root@knoppbox:~# /etc/init.d/apache start
Starting web server: apache[Thu Sep 23 23:19:11 2004] [warn] module ssl_module is already loaded, skipping
failed
I am trying to run virtual servers. Could they be interfering in some way? Any other ideas?
Addtionally, does Knoppix come with an FTP server? If not, what's a good one, and where/how can I get it? Also, what about SMTP/POP3?
I believed it has something to do with your httpd.conf, please check, maybe your path is wrong, maybe your virtual host.Quote:
root@knoppbox:~# /etc/init.d/apache start
Starting web server: apache[Thu Sep 23 23:19:11 2004] [warn] module ssl_module is already loaded, skipping
failed
I'm using kanotix, it comes with ftpd as ftp server. I think knoppix do comes with it to. Try : locate ftpd. A good one, I don't know.
Knoppix comes with smail. But I never use it. It's too complicated. I used xmail as my smtp/pop3 server.Plenty of filter to use. It's very good and easy to setup, plus they have good forum like this one.
xmailserver.org/
This is a good guide how to setup xmail;
http://www.ubaight.com/xmail/BeginnersGuide.html
For webmail, I use uebimiau, php based imap/pop.
http://www.uebimiau.org/
:D :D :D :D
type
and you see ftp-related programs, with brief description, which should tell you, which of them is a server.Code:apropos ftp