This concept is appealing I believe to corporate road warriors. At my place of work we have at any time 10-15 of our customer reps onsite. They all have laptops they access remote systems with across broadband internet we provide. One major pain in the A** for all of these guys is what to do when their POS laptop gets corrputed and won't boot. They go days without email or mainframe access while their laptop is shipped back to their overworked/understaffed IT department to rebuild Windoze. When they get it back it they have invariably lost loads of data, because we all know that end users *always* backup their local data :-)
I beileve there is a market for your product to companies that have certain people on the road all the time. Even if their laptop breaks physically, they can beg borrow or steal a computer in the interim while theirs is repaired. It would be very cheap for them to have a few LiveOS Cd's in their baggage to ensure they have access wherever they go.
I would concentrate on making sure your package includes easy to access (via icons) to features like VNC, Remote Desktop Connection, Citrix (is that available for Linux?), Cisco VPN client (Avaliable for Linux?) and other remote access tools. One potential stumbling block is the lack of IE and ActiveX that some of these guys depend on for coroprate portals.
I believe you should also provide companies with ability to buy your server end software (for a decent fee) so they can host it themselves. Many companies will be unwilling to put their data on a 3rd party server they have little or no control over.
Good project.
Conrad, If you want to persue this opportunity email me at [email protected] and I can let you know names of potential clients you could market your product to.
JP
