I've downloaded the ISO, version DSL-0.8.4
Printable View
I've downloaded the ISO, version DSL-0.8.4
Great. That's newer that the one I got just a few days ago from the DSL site (I have 8.3). I expect the site was down as they made changes for the new version, or maybe just swampped by people trying for the latest and greatest. Good Luck.Quote:
Originally Posted by GotCoffee
One more thing I should add to the "write to the second session on a live CD where you booted from the first session" trick: I found that the DSL linux CD I had made would no longer boot after writing the second session. This isn't really much of a problem, since the real purpose of this exercise was to get recovered files written to a CDR or CDRW and you still have that. The disk can be read as any normal CD. But writing the second session seems to change it enough that it's no longer bootable.
Those trying this might want to use a CDRW, if available, so they can reuse the disc, but if your main purpose is to extract and archive files a CDR should be fine.
Hi there,
not sure if your question was answered but this is my experience in recovering all my photos from hdd after trying to install a version of linux and messing things up to the point that xp would not boot at all.
To my relifef i could "see" all the files from that drive via the live knopiix cd, great!!!!
If this is a bit "sucking eggs" then i am sorry.
The simple answer is to put another cdrw drive in, this is all i did, I am assuming that the pc can take another drive. For what they cost it is worth buying it to save time and make the task simple, I happened to have one kicking about in the wardrobe.
As for the DSL thing, You can use the toram cheatcode and just put it there. That way you have some free space.
78 megs of ram is still enough to run the GUI.