You could probably creat a linux filesystem and continue with that. You can't use Fat because it doesn't support the permissions needed.Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver1024
Printable View
You could probably creat a linux filesystem and continue with that. You can't use Fat because it doesn't support the permissions needed.Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver1024
firebyrd10 is right, as long as you can create a linux filesystem to hold the uncompressed filesystem, you can remaster without having a fully installed Linux distribution all from the Knoppix CD.Quote:
Originally Posted by firebyrd10
Recently I've started thinking that for most people, it's easier and better if they use tools like saveconfig and klik and the knx-live-installer to install and tweak their desktops, instead of going for a full remaster, so I recommend tinkering with that before you go through the trouble of a full remaster.
Any cpu made by Intel is 'Intel compatible'. So are certain cpu's made by AMD, like Athlon, for example. Your Sony Vaio contains an Intel cpu so it is 'intel compatible'.Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver1024
My first install of Linux, using RedHat 5.0 in 1997, was on a brand new Sony Vaio. Not only did it not hurt the Sony, it made it run better! I purchased it brand new on Dec 29th, 1996. Within the next three months I had to reinstall Win95 from scratch 5 TIMES! The box was contantly crashing. I thought it was a piece of trash. After I installed RH as a dual boot and started spending time on the RH side I noticed that the Sony NEVER crashed. In fact, from the end of March till I switched to SUSE 5.3 in September of 1998 I never had a single crash on that Sony while running RH. I realized that it was Windows 95 that was a piece of trash, and that RH was good.Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver1024
You should know, however, that if you set your Horizontal and Vertical frequency setting of your monitor incorrectly you can risk burning out your monitor. For example, mMy monitor is a MAG 770V. It's HFreq range is 30-70KHz and it's vert freq range is 50-150 Hz. (Note: one is KHz and the other is Hz). If, while setting up your montior it is not among the preidentified monitors and you set the values for these parameters outside the range specificed in your monitor docs you could experience a "smoke test".
If you are not sure what your monitor specs are go to the vendor's site, or do a Google, and look them up. If notihing else there are industry standards that are pretty conservative and usually work on all monitors.
In the list of screen resolutions given by xf86conf they will be marked with an "i". But, usually Knoppix automatically detects and sets the monitor correctly.
When you from boot the Knoppix CD nothing is installed to your HD, nor are any setting changed on your PC. Everything is run in memory and/or from the CDROM.Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver1024
I have noticed that in Knoppix 3.7 xfce and wmaker are missing, although they are listed in the boot screen help and in the cheatcode list. :? I don't know if they were removed intentionally.Quote:
Originally Posted by eco2geek
Besides of not being able to start them (X exits with an error message), some programs report about missing things (xmms says: "Gtk-WARNING **: Ladbares Modul in Module-Pfad: "libxfce.so" kann nicht gefunden werden,").