Are /boot and /proc partitions or directories?
Anything with a forward slash is usually a directory, but that dosn't seem to fit with what your saying.
Printable View
Are /boot and /proc partitions or directories?
Anything with a forward slash is usually a directory, but that dosn't seem to fit with what your saying.
Ok. i see - it's a little bit confusing if you just arrived from the windows world.Quote:
Originally Posted by WilyPython
In Linux you mount partitions to directorys. The root partition for example is mounted to / (that's why it is called root). The boot partition is mounted to the directory /boot (if there is no boot partition /boot is just a directory in your root partition). An /home partition (if you've got one) is mounted to /home...
I think you've got the idea.
I'm almost on the same page with you here . . .
Now I know stalions mount mares, but I suspect Linux's interpretation of 'mount' is a bit different:)Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumo
Ok, I'll try to give an explanation for you. Not so easy for a non-native speaker...
Mounting a filesystem (or partition) means attaching it to the file hierarchy (directory tree). So if the partition you want to use as /home is mounted, it is attached to the /home directory.
I hope this helps.
Hummmmm???
I think I had better go off and do some reading about this 'mounting' stuff. Once I've got that sorted I think I'll be ready to start.
As it is, thanks to you Rumo I've come a long way from searching for an install program that wasn't there LOL!
I think I've hogged you and this thread long enough for one night, so thanks again.