Quote:
However, I am puzzled with the contradiction between the chipset in all other Belkin F5D7000s I know (including my own) i.e. Broadcom; and yours, which ostensibly is using a Ralink chipset -- at least according to Knoppix.
Its interesting in any case. Maybe Belkin is beginning to see sense and use a chipset vendor that supports Linux. But I think that something screwy is going on. Maybe someone is trying to pull a fast-one ... Hmmmm ....
I take it that you have just bought the card? I take it you bought it from a reputible supplier?
I bought the card at Staples, a giant office product chain, quite reputable. Oh and Knoppix does know it's a Belkin based on what I got when I used "lspci -v". So maybe Belkin has seen the light and is supplying Linux friendly cards. However, I tried to install the ndiswrapper RT2500 driver and got totally overwhelmed. The instructions may as well be in Chinese for me! Here's what they say:
run 'cd STA/Module'
'cp ../2.6.x/Makefile .'
$make -C /path/to/source SUBDIRS=$PWD modules
where /path/to/source is the path to the source directory for the (configured and built) target kernel.
run '/sbin/insmod rt2500.ko' (as root)
'/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up'
Help!!! I can make no sense of this... I tried keying it all in best as I could but am totally in over my head. :?