I hope they release a DVD version as well as a CD version, because I wanna install a nice new version with lots of programs when it comes out. Either way, I can't wait!
Printable View
I hope they release a DVD version as well as a CD version, because I wanna install a nice new version with lots of programs when it comes out. Either way, I can't wait!
Does anybody know if the changes done to the filesystem can be saved back to the disk (CD/DVD)????
Can one create a "custom" ISO-image of the changed system, e.g. remove / install new programs and then create a new ISO from the running system.
If not, then please somebody try to implement this - imaginate this would be the most flexible linux system in the world - install and remove packages, change themes, include demos and files and then burn new CD !!!!!
veuf
Hi all,
greetings from CeBIT Hannover. In case you are interested how the r/w unionfs is integrated into the system, here is the initrd of Knoppix 3.8: http://klik.atekon.de/knoppix38/minirt.gz
And yes, apt-get works from live CD...
Greetings,
probono
Thanks for the minirt.gz. I tried reading the announcement http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/56923 but I do not understand German. Is Knoppix 3.8 a public release? Or is it a private release like Knoppix 3.7 PC Welt or 3.5 DVD edition?Quote:
Originally Posted by probono
I took a look at the minirt and examined the linuxrc file. So that other people could study it, I posted the linuxrc file http://www.virtualacuity.com/james/k...nuxrc-3.8.html and the diff between the 3.7 version and the 3.8 version http://www.virtualacuity.com/james/k...-3.8.diff.html. In linuxrc at line 645 is where unionfs is used. According to it, the ramdisk is mounted on top of the readonly CDROM so that we can make "live changes" to the CDROM but the changes are actually written to the ramdisk.
James
Hi,
does anybody know when Knoppix 3.8 will be available for download?
Sascha
In LICENSE.txt it says:Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderScore
In index.html it only says (in German): "Production of this CD-ROM was sponsored by c't", but it doesn't mention that c't holds special rights on parts of the content. So it seems to me as if this would be legal to distribute. Please correct me if I'm wrong.Quote:
The KNOPPIX software collection and all included programs that are
authored by Klaus Knopper, are subject to the terms and conditions
of the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2, as quoted herein.
Please note that this license does NOT automatically apply to
third-party programs included on this CD. Check
/usr/share/doc/*/copyright* and other supplied license files
of each software package carefully for more information.
Greetings,
probono
Count on Overclockix 3.8 coming out with all the latest updates from Debian unstable as soon as I can get my hands on Knoppix 3.8.
Yeah, it's a sponsored beta release [it's freely redistributable just as any other Knoppix]... Basically it's released first at CeBit to encourage people to come out to the conference... In the past I beleive they had LiveDVD version at one of those conferences also.Quote:
Originally Posted by probono
I got the 3.7 CeBit release wayback before the "official" was released, wanted to try out the NX server stuff (which is quite cool). I was going to do a Centrino Laptop distro off of 3.7, but I think I'll wait till I see what the whole unionfs thing is like.
T'would be nice if someone who has a copy could ISO it and post a Torrent... hint, hint
Cheers,
-G
Somebody told me that he downloaded Knoppix from the emule network.
I`ve downloaded aMule and searched for Knoppix.
The server is http://www.Use-Next.de and the file is called Knoppix 3.8 Linux (CeBIT 2005 Edition).iso
http://stats.razorback2.com/ed2khist...BF07BC488988E5
I can't find the file via emule :-(