Answer rwcitek's question and then we'll be able to get some more ideas about what to do.Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs187
Printable View
Answer rwcitek's question and then we'll be able to get some more ideas about what to do.Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs187
Does it work with first booting up and then doing "modprobe intel_agp" and "startx"?
i tried "knoppix 3" and "knoppix xmodule=vesa vga=normal 3" and "init 5" and Ctrl+Alt+- and Ctrl+Alt+F2, but I couldn't get a screen without static. looks like there are about two modes of static, and i can get out of GUI mode. When I tried "knoppix 3" it said I missed a mode. I could pick my screen mode then. (columns and something else) I can hear the woman's voice saying I'm logging in or whatever she says.
Unfortunately, I don't understand what you did and what the results were. Where you able to get to a text-mode virtual console by booting with boot: knoppix 3? If so, type "lspci" and post the result here. If not, what symptoms does your system have (e.g. blank screen, flickering)? BTW, if Knoppix asks about the video mode, press <Return> and then choose mode 0.Quote:
Originally Posted by Use her name.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
I guess I got the "text-mode virtual console" by booting with "knoppix 3". The next screen said, "undefined mode number", so I entered zero. It checked my computer and said, "INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
"root@tty1[/]#", so I typed, "lspci"; and it showed the following:Quote:
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82810 GMCH [Graphics Memory Controller Hub] (rev 03)
0000:00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82810 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 03)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801AA IDE (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801AA USB (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801AA SMBus (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801AA AC'97 Audio (rev 02)
0000:01:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
0000:01:0e.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem (rev 02)
root@tty1[/]#
Excellent. Knoppix can boot. In the future, you can type boot: knoppix vga=0 3 to avoid Knoppix from asking you what video mode to use.Quote:
Originally Posted by Use her name.
Four more questions:
- in text-mode, are yout able to switch between the 4 virtual consoles by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc.? At each virtual console the prompt will change to root@tty1, root@tty2, etc.
- in text-mode, can you type 'cat /etc/sysconfig/knoppix' and post the results here?
- can you enter graphics mode by typing "init 5"?
- from graphics mode, can you switch back to a virtual terminal using any of the Ctrl-Alt-F{1,2,3,4} keystrokes? If yes, can you switch back to the graphics mode by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F5?
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
No, I cannot switch between the four virtual consoles by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1, Ctrl+Alt+F2, etc. Here are the results for "cat /etc/sysconfig/knoppix" (note: instead of colons, they are kind of sideways hyphens, stacked on top of each other.):Yes, after I type "init 5", words come on the screen (something about X11), and the screen flashes before entering graphics mode. Yes, Ctrl+Alt+F1 will switch me back to text-mode. Is that a virtual terminal? I didn't reboot and try F2, 3 and four. Hitting Ctrl+Alt+5 cleared the screen except for a cursor at the top left, but I couldn't seem to do anything; so I rebooted in Windows to post these results.Quote:
LANG="C"
COUNTRY="us"
LANGUAGE="us"
CHARSET="iso8859-1"
KEYTABLE="us"
XKEYBOARD="us"
KDEKEYBOARD="us"
KDEKEYBOARDS="de, fr"
DESKTOP="kde"
TZ="America/New_York"
NETCARD_FULLNAME="Realtek:RTL-8139"
NETCARD_DRIVER="8139too"
MOUSE_FULLNAME="Generic PS/2 Wheel Mouse"
MOUSE_DEVICE="/dev/psaux"
SOUND_FULLNAME="Intel Corporation:82801AA AC97Audio"
SOUND_DRIVER="i810-audio"
XSERVER="XFree86"
XMODULE="i810"
XDESC="82810 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (i810)"
FLOPPY_FULLNAME='3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive'
FLOPPY_DEVICE="/dev/fdo"
FLOPPY_DRIVER="unknown"
BACKGROUND="/cdrom/KNOPPIX/background.jpg"
Thanks,
Kenneth
Are you sure you cannot switch virtual consoles? Everything else you have written suggests that you should be able to. Here are some steps to try:Quote:
Originally Posted by Use her name.
- boot with boot: knoppix vga=0 3
- do you get a shell prompt that says "root@tty1[/]#"?
- if yes, then press Ctrl+Alt+F2. Does the prompt now say "root@tty2[/]#"?
- if yes, then press Ctrl+Alt+F3. Does the prompt now say "root@tty3[/]#"?
- if yes, then press Ctrl+Alt+F4. Does the prompt now say "root@tty4[/]#"?
- if yes, then press Ctrl+Alt+F1. Does the prompt now say "root@tty1[/]#"?
If you answered "no" to any of the above questions, please describe what changed, if anything, when you pressed the Ctrl+Alt+F{1,2,3,4} key combination.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
Yes, unfortunately, I'm sure that I can't switch virtual consoles. I tried it, again, and nothing happened. After trying Ctrl+Alt+F2, I tried F3, four and five, but it was like I didn't press anything; yet when I pressed F1 through F5 by themselves, I got letters of the alphabet. I also tried Ctrl+F2, Ctrl+F3, Alt+F2, Alt+F3, etc. Nothing happened.
Thanks,
Kenneth
OK. Let's try one more item then:Quote:
Originally Posted by Use her name.
- boot with boot: knoppix vga=0 3
- at the root shell, type 'ps fax' and post the result here.
You should see something like this:
Regards,Code:root@tty1[/]# ps fax
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
1 ? S 0:00 init [3]
2 ? S 0:00 [migration/0]
3 ? SN 0:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
4 ? S< 0:00 [events/0]
5 ? S< 0:00 [khelper]
10 ? S< 0:00 [kthread]
44 ? S< 0:00 \_ [kblockd/0]
98 ? S 0:00 \_ [pdflush]
99 ? S 0:00 \_ [pdflush]
101 ? S< 0:00 \_ [aio/0]
762 ? S< 0:00 \_ [ata/0]
100 ? S 0:00 [kswapd0]
693 ? S 0:00 [kseriod]
819 ? S 0:00 [khubd]
841 ? S 0:00 [khpsbpkt]
1198 ? S 0:00 [kapmd]
1210 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/apmd -P /etc/apm/apmd_proxy --proxy-timeout
1816 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/automount --pid-file=/var/run/autofs/_mnt_a
2031 tty1 Ss 0:00 /bin/bash -login
2149 tty1 R+ 0:00 \_ ps fax
2048 tty2 Ss+ 0:00 /bin/bash -login
2049 tty3 Ss+ 0:00 /bin/bash -login
2066 tty4 Ss+ 0:00 /bin/bash -login
root@tty1[/]#
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org