I agree with DelphiDude. Most Knoppix versions work fine when installed on HD. if you want a basic desktop system and the ability to experiment with servers then it's fine. If you want to run production servers then it's not ideal, but most newbies aren't in this position. Life's too short for most people to get involved installing Debian. If you want stability then Knoppix is more stable than Kanotix because it's packages are generally more stable - Knoppix runs Apache 1.3x, for example, whereas Kanotix (which I have never used, but heard good reports about) currently runs Apache 2x in it's 64-bit version. If you convert the /etc/apt/sources.list file to just point to stable mirrors then I imagine Knoppix would be less likely to break on upgrading packages than Kanotix, which is based on Sid - always unstable in comparison to stable Debian versions. There is currently no widely used Live CD based on Woody that I know of, Gnoppix may be more stable, but personally I find using KDE easier. If you want more control then Gentoo.
If you want security run Knoppix from CDROM - you can't get more secure because nobody can write to the CDROM, assuming it's not a rewriteable type.
Knoppix 3.3 does all the things I regard as important to me from a HD install on my laptop, but probably not the ideal HD install for most people. Kanotix wouldn't do these things, so for me it's not as good.
Would a toram install of Knoppix be stable and reliable enough to act as a production server environment does anybody know?
Together with a USBstick for data storage you could have a server that didn't rely on moving parts.
Debian is a very great system. As I understand it Debian stable is very stable indeed and updating and upgrading should not break it. New features are added all the time to Sid (unstable). Testing concentrates on new features as well. If bugs are discovered in testing or unstable versions that affect the stable version, then eventually the stable version will be patched to make it even more stable/ secure. If the bugs are related to new features only found in the latest unstable or testing versions then they are not fed back into the stable version. Thus even Kanotix is likely to break if upgraded regularly. Reading from the Kanotix forum
http://forum.kanotix.net/viewtopic.php?t=10245
merely confirms this.
Regards,
Mark
