Re: trying to set up my USB 1.1 external one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltan
But the external USB drive <fat partition> doesn't. The error is "mount: mount point /mnt/uba1 does not exist"
Boot knoppix without the USB drive attached. Then type this in a root terminal window:
Code:
dmesg -c > /dev/null
Attach your USB drive and type the following code:
Code:
( set -x
uname -va
cat /etc/knoppix-version
lspci
dmesg
cat /proc/partitions
) >& post.txt
Please post the output of post.txt
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
Re: trying to set up my USB 1.1 external one
So you are saying that kanotix
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
had no issues handling FAT FAT32 partitions from external USB drives?
THis is my problem too
I wasn't able to solve my problems. I had a technician tell me that I had to plug the USB drive before knoppix boots, which made me wonder what was the idea then of using a USB device.
Let me try kanotix then
I have noticed lots of problems with USB/Firewire devices with my knoppix distro 3.9
I am still wondering if there is anyone outthere using knoppix with external devices.
Albretch
Re: trying to set up my USB 1.1 external one
Actually I have a Maxtor Drive too (a MAXTOR 6L080J4, ATA one) inside a wiebetech enclosure with 2 Firewire connectors and one USB one.
After burning a kanotix copy (I liked it already, for some reason it is faster than Knoppix!! (and I don't think that the reason is that the default lang of most applications is German :?, which by the way I speak))
I got some info from
http://wiki.kanotix.net/CoMa.php?CoMa=usb-storage
but it appears to be for digital cameras only?
I see the LED on the drive reacting and running /etc/hotplug/usb/usb-storage, shows me
knoppix@1[knoppix]$ cat /var/log/hotplug/usb-storage.log
PRODUCT=5ab/60/1101
KERNEL=2.6.11-kanotix-11
find_partitions_26: Device not found in 25000 ms
Device not found
---
TYPE=usb
ACTION=add
PRODUCT=5ab/60/1101
INTERFACE=8/6/80
DEVICE=/proc/bus/usb/001/003
DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.2/usb1/1-2/1-2:2.0
REMOVER=/var/run/usb/%proc%bus%usb%001%003
us_DEFAULTUID=1000
us_PARTITIONS=
us_SPECIALICON=camera
us_SPECIALNAME=camera
us_STORAGEICON=usbpendrive_mount
us_VERSION=20050718-devel
Then I tried a number of things, none of which worked
Could you tell me exactly how is it you mounted you external ATA drive using kanotix?
Thanks
Albretch
Re: trying to set up my USB 1.1 external one
> Actually, it's plugged in when I boot.
What is then the fun of having a hotpluggable drive when you must have it plugged when you boot?
Albretch