-
So, what do we do to get Knoppix to start. I am new to Linux operation and don't know what a "smart Boot Manager" is.
As I said, two of my Knoppix disk were professionally made and all the disk work on another test computer. But none of the disk work in this one computer.
If I choose to work in the 'failsafe' mode, the "cannot find knoppix system files" error does not appear, but the video scan frequency is all messed up and you can't read the screen.
-
Hello, I had the same problem. I don't think it is a problem of Knoppix in particular, but of Linux in general. I had the problem using different Linux distributions: Knoppix 3.3 , Ubuntu 5, SuSe 10.0 and Mandrake 8.1. After I changed my hardware configuration the problem didn't occur anymore. First (when I couldn't install/boot Linux) I had the following configuration:
IDE Controller 1: Hard disk 0 Master, Hard disk 1 Slave
IDE Controller 2: DVD Drive Master, CD Drive Slave.
Then I just changed the two connections:
IDE Controller 1: DVD Drive Master, CD Drive Slave
IDE Controller 2: Hard disk 0 Master, Hard disk 1 Slave.
And then I could boot my Knoppix CD.
Maybe Linux demands there is a CD drive on the first IDE Controller. I am not sure. But it seems to me it has something to do with the configuration of the drives in the IDE Controllers.
By the way, after I changed the configuration of the drives I could boot Windows XP anyway, but of course you should take in account this can be different for other machines.
Many greetings,
Jeu
-
I had the same problem with Knoppix 4.0.2 booting up part way from CD (in my DVD drive) then not being able to find the DVD drive. My SATA disk was the master on controller 1 and the DVD drive was the master on controller 3. This configuration worked for XP and Knoppix 3.4 with the 2.4 Linux kernel. I tried changing my BIOS settings to make the DVD drive the master on controller 1 and the hard disk the master on controller 2 and then it was able to find the DVD drive when booting the new version of Knoppix from CD with the 2.6 kernel.
-
I do not think it is the 2.6 kernel. I can boot the old 3.7 using the 2.6 kernel. It seems to be something about 4.02.