easy install and great first experience
i am completely new to Linux and have begun to step by step move towards it.
And knoppix has been a huge step in this. Just the ease of installing it from a single cd and exploring the desktop that soon came up...i am hooked.
right now, i just want to thank all the great folks who have made this possible-...All the GNU/linux people and the free software people...and the developer of Knoppix too...for this great OS..
very soon i am going to move to the next step and make a permanent installation.
Knoppix has been a very positive GNU/Linux experience
What can I say about Knoppix that hasn't already been said. Basically I stumbled accross Knoppix after I tried about 30 other GNU/Linux builds and variations, and YES, a newbie installing Debian is quite scary and frustrating (it was the 3rd one I tried). But it also made me learn lots real fast, I come from a Macintosh enviroment, but it's funny because we hear of all these "GNU/Linux switchers" to OS X. OS X made me switch to GNU/Linux, I got tired of Apple's fake rhetoric about free and open source software. It is NOT in their or Adobe's best interest to see The Gimp suceed. Right now the two GNU/Linux variations I am running are Mandrake 9.1 PPC on an iMac and Knoppic 3.2 on an old i686 I got for free. Why am I rambling? who knows, I am just glad to be involved in the GNU/Linux community and have never had such support before, everyone has helped me willingly. It is my goal to produce the next book (I work for a publishing Company) 100% on a GNU/Linux enviroment.
Everyone points at Microsoft but Apple is as much part of the problem too.
Re: Knoppix has been a very positive GNU/Linux experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono64
Everyone points at Microsoft but Apple is as much part of the problem too.
I agree. Recently I acquired an old UMAX ppc. I've never had an interst in Macs previously and I'm still not interested in their OS. I am glad to see them switch to NIX but open source is a swear word in Macland it seems.