Originally Posted by xfiles
Next step was to get the ISO on the win 98 machine. Tried a file splitter but the result also would not pass the MD5 check. Thought about file transfer over the network but have never tried that before, and didn't want to take the time to learn to do it at that particular time. So I removed the burner from the win 98 machine and hooked it up to the XP machine. I then booted up Slax to memory on it and used k3b to burn a couple of Knoppix DVD's. Worked great. I also burned a DVD with just the ISO file on it. The md5 checked out on this file also. The knoppix dvd seemed to work fine on the xp machine. Removed the burner and put it back in the p3 win 98 system. Booted up the knoppix dvd, worked fine. Rebooted with both Slax and win 98 and the dvd with ISO file passed the md5 check from those systems both times. Used Slax to copy the ISO to each of my 2 hard drives- MD5 does NOT check out on the hard drive copies? I don't know why this is.
My only theories so far is that maybe the bios (1999) is too old to handle these large files, or maybe there's a limitation in the processor somehow. As far as I can tell, my hard drives are OK. Also when I'm running win 98, I can't copy those ISO files, get an error- something like invalid parameter- it can't handle copying that large a file. Knoppix or Slax don't seem to have a problem, though. Shouldn't be the FAT32 system per se, but I just can't get a correct MD5 from a DVD ISO when it's on my hard drives.
Any ideas why this would be? Sorry for the long post, but this has me puzzled.