What difference does the -o uip=knoppix make though?
Printable View
What difference does the -o uip=knoppix make though?
From mount-manpage:Quote:
Originally Posted by iam
FAT-filesystem don't save owner of each file, so "-o uid=knoppix" can be used to tell who should be shown as the owner of each file.Quote:
uid=value and gid=value
Set the owner and group of all files. (Default: the uid and gid of the current process.)
So it seems that if you use that option, each file would be owned by "knoppix", and maybe you could then use all files normally without permission-problems.
I'm not sure as I havn't used FAT-partitions for a while.
Now that I think of it, my earlier suggestion of
might not work on FAT-partitions. I didn't remember that FAT-partitions don't save the owner of each file.Code:sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1/data
sudo chown knoppix:knoppix /mnt/sda1/data
Thanks for the explanation. The -o command works straight away. No need to make extra folder.
I can't thank you enough for getting me through that. Much appreciated.
I'm very impressed with linux as well. Was only going to use it for data recovery, but i think i might delve into it a little bit more.