linuxant driver on kernel 2.6
garyng: If you install from .rpm or .deb, it's not far away.
The question is: when will hardwaremanufactors support linux?
And I prefer to install from tar.bz2, so I can take more influence on the process.
Installing from source often means, that the same sourcecode is used for very different unix-like platforms, and you may optimize for size or speed, or debugging - however you want.
I recently installed a testversion of .Net.
Drive C: 300 M free space
Dirve D: 3 G free space.
Though I told to use Drive D: for installation, it failed because insufficient space on drive C:
And no way round.
Glorious windows-way to install without involving the user too much!
---
Back to hardware (conexant/ linuxant-modem):
I switched to knoppix 3.4 recently and installed a new kernel (2.6.4) as well.
Since the kernel changed the module-interface, the old driver didn't work.
I downloaded a new one, but linuxant changed their licence politic.
You may get the driver in a crippled-version for free, but it is restricted to 14.400 speed.
Or you pay a small fee (10$ or 20$ as far as I know).
I tried the new (crippled) driver, but it didn't work.
But I had changed my telephone-provider and switched to adsl, so I don't need the new driver, and so I stopped investigating the errorcodes, settings, and so on.
But keep this in mind when changing to kernel 2.6!