Quote:
Originally Posted by HatGuy
The error message said that no "suitable" partitions were found, without saying what was unsuitable about those it did find.
Have a look at "cat /etc/fstab" and "mount -l". See if those look right. Both of these have extensive man and info pages.
Thanks, I will ... tomorrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatGuy
I suppose suitability depends no format and empty space, but there are two vfat partions with way more than enough space for the configuration files I was trying to save.
I just tried to save a persistent home to an NTFS partition. It did warn me like three times that it might not be a good idea, but it did work. I am almost certain that plain vfat is perfectly fine! The problem will certainly not be with space, that check comes after you tell it where to create the persistent home. The problem must be somewhere else..
I didn't even TRY to save to the NFS partitions! The warnings about trying to do something like that are way to strong.
I figured that part out, though. Turns out, the change from 3.4 to 5.1.1 made the image, etc. files incompatible. The saves went fine after I moved the old 3.4 images to the other vfat partition. No problem with that (at least) since then. The error message was way unhelpful, but that seems par for the course, regardless of hardware (CDC and IBM big iron, lots of pcs, os, ap, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatGuy
That's the only reason I mentioned partitions; my main concern was the opaque error message.
Welcome to UNIX, let me introduce you to Google. :D
Oh, yeah -- nothing like similar sounding questions that dribble off to nothing or get solved off line. That's why I try to say "Thanks!" two or three times when someone replies. I did say "Thanks," didn't I?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatGuy
As to figuring out what was going on, I'd be glad to help but I'm a Linux/Knoppix newbie. Can you lay out the outline of a research program?
Lots of trial-and-error, searching with Google, and asking "stupid" questions. It would also help if you were familiar with some of the UNIX-standard tools: start with some bash book from your local library (
Learning the bash shell is a good one), which will lead you to other stuff. Then move on to some of the UNIX internals: no better training that I know of then trying to manually install Gentoo! :twisted: