http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE FWIW (For What It's Worth)
Printable View
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE FWIW (For What It's Worth)
While changing HDDs, I broke the rules and didn't turn off the power. I saw a spark, my computer shut off, then I looked up at my ceiling and hissed "Por Que!" I took a deep breath and told myself to think positive, but the terrible feeling, from when I caused the short, returned when my power button wouldn't work. I opened the enclosure, caressed my power supply and bid it farewell, thinking I would have to replace it. Then I remembered something similar had happened in the past and all I did then was wait a little bit. Five minutes passed, and I tried it again, but received no signs of life. In tears, I unplugged the power cord from the back. I was to go out in the morning and purchase a new one. Toes and fingers crossed, I decided to try one last time and I plugged it back in. For a few moments I was lifted off the floor with joy, to the sound of the fans spinning, the sight of LEDs blinking, and the tune of the speaker beeping, but I was quickly encumbered with an overwhelming sorrow by a monochromatic screen that read “please insert system disk.� To myself I said, “Onegai, onegai shimasu!! Not my 400GB slave!� Yes, I said slave, because the OS on my master needed to be activated because I changed the hardware too often, so I had been booting off of my slave. I don't know why Microsoft does that, It's a pain for both of us, I'm sure. I rebooted and crossed my fingers, but not my toes, as it is very difficult, and through tear blurred eyes I saw it listed on my display. What I did not see was my master. I can't boot from my 400G baby yet, but she works. If I put my ear to her I can hear her purr, “I still love you.� My 80GB master, however, wasn't even able to say it's last words—poor little thing. I want to do something to recover the data, as this is a very big inconvenience for me. This is a Seagate model ST3800020A, clad in black rubber and stickers. I want to remove the circuit board, that's under the rubber, and replace it with another, but I don't want to damage it, or corrupt my data any more than it already is. Are the little circuit boards with the IDE and power connectors swappable? What can I do?
This happened on my tower. On my laptop there is a corrupt system file in the Windows folder. This has happened before and I had to reinstall or "recover" Windows, just because of one "missing or corrupt file". My laptop came with Windows XP Pro SP2, ST3800020A has Windows XP Home, and my slave has the same copy. I have another drive, that wasn't connected at the time of the incident, with Windows XP Pro SP2. When I installed Pro on it, I had my latex sweetheart plugged in, so I've connected the problem to the boot settings saved on ST3. . .A, which aren't accessible. I've misplaced my copy's of Windows, so I'm unable to fix the problem on my lap top. I hope this isn't so, but I think I thew them in the garbage, along with an Eathlink and a couple AOL free trail discs. That same carelessness is keeping me from being able to sole the problem on my other drives.
Prior to that I use to see the BSOD a lot. Anyway, I think that this “SBM� will allow me to load my OS, but I'm afraid my geek level isn't sufficiently high enough to use Linux command line, because the same issue keeping me from using this OS to print, is also keeping me from compiling this tool—that dreaded make command! There are two other things that may cause trouble in the future, but I won't know until I can compile it. That being said, lets get this puppy going so I can print!Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
It didn't look so hard, I have step by step instructions, but it is—for me anyway. I scanned through the introduction, copyright, and the rest of 1, until 2. It reeds:“Ha! This couldn't be simpler,� I thought. Until I got to 2.1.1. It looks a lot like this:Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.
I highlighted the text > pressed and held Ctrl > tapped C > pressed and help Alt > tapped Tab > slowly raised the mouse to select the address bar > pressed and held Ctrl > tapped V > pressed enter > smiled > frowned and shook my head slowly side to side after an attack of confusion. I had failed to attain the much needed ugh whatever they are.Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.1.1.
“No biggie,� I said aloud and proceeded to a stand still.
Editing the Makefile was a piece of cake, in fact I didn't have to do anything at all, because “TARGET_OS=linux� was already present. I assumed that I was to do the next step in command line, and I knew what was going to happen, but I went ahead and tried it anyway.Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.1.2.
You know what is said about assumptions, as well as I do, so I looked over the instructions, and referred to the Makefile,Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell – Konsole
I think the problem has something to do with the things from 2.1.1.. What do you think? I tried to show everything that I did, but I could have missed something of significance. Please let me know of any useful information I may have missed, but is needed for the successful compilation of this tool, so we may proceed to address my two other problems, so it's possible to load Windows, so I can finally be able to print.Quote:
Originally Posted by Makefile - KWrite
Thanks so much for baring with me, you guys, it looks like we're making progress now.
WTG Rusty! That is very interesting, but better yet, useful information. I find it challenging to describe the conundrum of emotions triggered by the words: "A user can create his or her own installation of BartPE using the installation disk of the operating system in question..." As I reed I feel intrigued, happy, I pause to say, "Ah, the joy of creating," the song of angels fills the air, my cat's purr forms a symphony with the songbirds playing the harp, and her long playful tail adds a sense of realism, as it brushes my smiling, joy filled cheeks. I continue reeding, but suddenly, as I decrypt the last part of the quote, everything is consumed by an eerie silence, and my cat runs off. Now, when I need her most, she has shunned me, left me behind--like a yarn ball that has unwound, becoming uninteresting, and entangled--to suffer some unknown, lonesome fate. Somehow, I'm now walking down the street feeling confused, scared and disillusioned. Abruptly, someone walks up and punches me, right in the face, for no reason at all, and It happens to be my twin brother! Once again, everything changes, the cold, hard pavement becomes my rug, and I struggle to get back up on my seat to finish the article.Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty
In a different situation, I wouldn't waste a second to create this tool, butThank you so much for looking these things up for me, all I did was talk, caress, and fold flowers for my machine. I enjoy reeding the information, and I'll be looking forwards to the next link I get from either you, or Kuhman. You two do stand out from the 270 silent reeder. Thanks again, be well, and TTYL.Quote:
Originally Posted by I
Can't you borrow a xp cd from someone and use it to reinstall xp or make a bartpe etc.? Another option is to resize the ntfs partition on one of the working drives to free up enough space to install linux, thus installing grub, from which you might boot your xp partition.
BTW, do you write the trashy romance books that they sell in Rite-Aid.?
I was hoping to get another link from you, but instead I got some advise. It works out the same.
You could say, I live in the middle of no where, for my closest neighbor lives two miles away. I don't know anyone that has an XP disk. No, I'm not able to borrow a disk from anyone in my town, and I can't find my disks anywhere. You're more experienced than I am, if its not so much trouble, could you use your copy of XP to make a bratpe, and upload it somewhere so I may use it?Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty
I have been thinking about shrinking some space, so I may have more storage. What happens to the files, that were on the clusters, that became unallocated and formatted? Do they get moved, or are they lost? I've used grub before, and it's still on that hard disk that use to have Fedora, but it doesn't do anything. It just says, "GRUB" Am I able to use it?Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty
I'm sorry to say, but I'm not the one who wrote those books you read. In fact, I've never heard of "Rite-Aid." I don't necessarily like to read things I can't learn from. To give you an idea, the last three books I read were: A Brief History of Time, Una Verdad Incomoda, and Teach Yourself Korean. If you would supply a title, I would check it out.Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty also
Well, Rusty, I'll CYAL8R
Is the partition where fedora resided still there, You type:fdisk -l , from a knoppix root shell to see. If it is then you won't need to resize the xp partition , rather install a linux to the old fedora partition, or fedora itself if you still have the installation media.Quote:
and it's still on that hard disk that use to have Fedora
If you have the capability to burn CD's , I recommend Ubuntu as the installer will likely see and try to configure grub to include any xp's that are in the box. Even if it doesn't, getting a hard disk installed installed linux will get you the ability to use your printer.
I'll get right on it!Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty