Quote:
Originally Posted by garyng
Why blame XP ?
If you read Harry's detailed posts about how windows updates have adversely changed his nic card's eeprom settings you'll see why blaming MS is far from unreasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyng
I dual boot frequently between XP and linux(debian woody) and found that browsing the net under XP is in general faster and less problematic than under linux. I use Mozilla under both system(same version). I also experienced these timeout, or blank pages from time to time. Not a show stopper, usually just refreshing a few times would be fine. The configuration I used is orinoco silver on the notebook, through orinoco router/gateway through cable modem.
Hmm. I've installed linux lots of times and can't say I've ever found this to be true. Actually I'm posting this from a laptop that's using an Orinoco card and it's always worked flawlessly. On my machine at work the wireless D-link card gave me hell under windows, but worked fine in linux. Sure there may be cases where linux isn't performing optimally , but on the whole I've had much less problems than with Windows.