I wouldn't go so far to call OS X insanely fantastic.
It has a lot of problems and it seems to be getting worse not better.
Try finding an external USB cd drive that works, and I don't mean one Apple tells you that works, because they don't. Try getting 3rd party drivers for such peripherals, you can't ALL that manufacturers say OS X supplies the drivers, well the microkernal theory just does not hold up.
I was a rabid mac fanatic, I was on board to beta test OS X, and frankly the high Unix learning curve taught me the power of the command line, BUT if I can't use my Mac with "supported" drives which in reality are NOT supported, and I have had this happen not once but 5 times, each time I consulted Apple technichians and they swore the drives would work, and when proven wrong they just said, "oh guess it doesn't." Gee thanks Apple.
Apple seesm more intent on making gadgets and selling music than supporting their original customer base.
I mean do we really need honking big operating systems that take up gigs JUST for the OS? and offer less functionallity?
Apple plays fast and loose with the term "open source" also.
My next computer will be one I build myself, and will run a customized version of Knoppix, which will replace about 3000 dollars of software.
Anyone who wants to pull their hair out can try to get an unsupported peripheral to work in OS X, but if you have to use X11 or a Linux program, then why use OS X?
