mikeypants,
Great Journal! Thanks for posting this. :D
I'll follow the same steps on my next remaster (probably in a few days) and post if I run into any additional problems. My customization is for totally different purposes so kicklist is different. This is good. The more people follow the same steps with different kicklists, the more dependecies and weird problems we'll get, and the faq will be more complete. :lol:
And I checked about your problem with everything running as root instead of knoppix. The package in charge of this is called xsession-initscript-knoppix. Specifically, the file /etc/init.d/xsession which you probably modified heavily since you cut down a lot of X/WM stuff, originally starts with 'USER=knoppix' and later the environment is started with 'su - $USER'.
I suggest you just look at the original file and do the same in your modified version.
btw, I understand you hardcoded a lot of things to /home/knoppix. This is probably a bad idea. The "right" way seems to be storing your configuration files in /etc/skel/ (and chown to root.root). 45xsession contains a list of files/directories to copy to the user's home upon init, and its easy to change the username there.
I'll keep looking around and let you know if I run into anything else. :wink:
Mack
