I'm seeing this same behaviour on a Dell Inspiron 5150 with the NVIDIA Go5200 chipset and an SXGA+ LCD. If only Dell would change the name of a laptop when they totally change its features!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neri
Printable View
I'm seeing this same behaviour on a Dell Inspiron 5150 with the NVIDIA Go5200 chipset and an SXGA+ LCD. If only Dell would change the name of a laptop when they totally change its features!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neri
I've got this figured out, at least with Mandrake 9.1 - the trick is to press F1 at the first boot screen, then type 'linux acpi=on'. Everything boots up properly after that. Unfortunately, I *still* haven't been able to get Knoppix to boot, but hopefully this will give somebody somewhere enough of a clue to get started.
Just for the record, my Dell Inspiron 5150 is the model with a 1400x1050 display and NVidia Go5200 video chipset...
Same here Dell Inspiron 5150 and I can't get knoppix to run. I type in knoppix lang=us then a few lines of text appears, the screen goes black and that's it.
Knoppix on the desktop is a great resource -- I'd love to run it on the laptop as well... :(
Well I just installed Knoppix On my DELL INSPIRON 5150. It was hard and VERY frusterating but I got it, Although I did recieve errors, Never did I get the error that you got. My error was a kernel panic, but some how it went away! Also had a bit of a scruffle with the lilo.conf needing to change boot=/dev/hda to boot=/dev/hdc, all in all it was worth it so far if you need help maybe I could assist you some how...
i'm also getting an init panic during the boot. i've tried using the noscsi and nosmp boot time options mentioned in other threads. I was hoping blaze could elaborate on what, exactly, his kernel panic was, and how he dealt with it.
thanks
toto
hey i have brand new dellinspiron 5100, it appears to load and run knoppix and pclinux live cd's really well
the only problem is it only see's one nic card, the cat 5 card and does not recognize the wifi... this is terrible problem i need the wifi work..
anyone get theirs working.. it is a true mobile 1300, i do have mobile radeon 32, my router is a blitz wifi..
i tried boot: knoppix nosmp
but to no avail.. anyway i really need this to work on wifi if someone knows how... keep in mind im a noob so spell it out for me line by line plz
thank you very much
ok. I'm working w/ a dell inspiron 5150, and I got knoppix to work!!
Before I tell you though I think you should know that in California 5150 is a police code:
Q: What is a 5150?
A: 5150 is a legal hold imposed on a person that is believed to be in need of involuntary psychiatric treatment in the state of California. The person is believed to be a combination of 1 or more of the following:
* A Danger to Self
* A Danger to Others
* Gravely Disabled
<a href=http://www.toddlertime.com/5150/5150-law.htm>http://www.toddlertime.com/5150/5150-law.htm</a>
first: this did NOT work with knoppix 3.2 which (knoppix-std 0.1 is based on)
it DOES work with knoppix from las, which i assume is a later version :) (localareasecurity.com
so the cheats are:
knoppix vga=ext nosmp
X works. Thats up to you and your vid card.
-lazyE
Hi..
i'm working with dell inspirion 5150 with NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 video adapter. got LAS to work too. but cant figure out how to get the broadcom ethernet adapter n the dell true mobile 1300 workin :/
Someone can help?
(sry for my bad english)
greetz
for all you people who say the screen just goes blank, use this cheat code knoppix nosmp . it worked for me, but then while its booting i get 3 trillion errors and eventually it says PANIC: sleeping for 30 seconds, and will do nothing. See if the nosmp fixes your problem and let me know if you have any fixes for me. Thanks.