you don't need to.Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucker
if you have the KNOPPIX files layed out properly on your harddisk, the full knoppix will do what you want it to, only accessing the harddrive, and not the files on the cd.
Printable View
you don't need to.Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucker
if you have the KNOPPIX files layed out properly on your harddisk, the full knoppix will do what you want it to, only accessing the harddrive, and not the files on the cd.
What the original poster wanted was;
1. Bootup the computer from a CD Rom
2. Leave the Knoppix CD in the second CD Rom
(may not be necessary if contents of the Knoppix CD are copied to the hard disk)
3. Leave a diskette in the floppy to hold the "save configuration" files
I do have the following suggestions though I am not sure whether it will work.
1. Bootup the computer from the floppy.
2. Leave the Knoppix CD in the CD Rom
(may not be necessary if contents of the Knoppix CD are copied to the hard disk)
3. Burn the contents "save configuration" files to a CD and place it in the 2nd CD Rom
and hopefully find a method for Knoppix to detect the second CD that holds the "save configuration" files
For what it's worth, on my system it appears that Knoppix tries the cdrom first. In fact, I'm running from the cdrom right now, even though the /knoppix directory is also on the hd. If I want to run Knoppix from the hd, the cdrom drive must be empty or contain something other than the bootable Knoppix CD.Quote:
You can use the standard knoppix cd to boot from, if you have those files above, it will search the harddrive before the cdrom, and use those.
Knoppix is copied to my hard disk and I boot from the floppy instead of the CD
at the boot prompt, after I enter knoppix floopyconfig, it searches my hard disk and mount the partition where the Knoppix folder lies
when I log off, my CD rom tray does not eject since there is no CD
Nice to know I'm not the only floopyconfig'er.
There must be thousands of us.
Regards,
One Floopy Newbie
PS: I'm wondering if anyone knows how to specify to boot disk to look for knoppix on my D: drive?
you may try loadlin for bootingQuote:
Originally Posted by sepht
edit autoexec.bat with this
a:\loadlin.exe a:\vmlinuz rw lang=en floppyconfig root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=a:\miniroot.gz screen=800x600
vmlinux miniroot.gz are in the boot floopy
/dev/hda1 is c:
/dev/hdb1 is d: in hd 2 (or /dev/hdc1 if d: is a partition in hd 1)
lang en=knoppix lang=en
floppyconfig=knoppix floppyconfig etc etc etc
or boot from de hard disk (floppyless)
c:\loadlin.exe c:\vmlinuz rw lang=en floppyconf root=/dev/hda1 initrd=c:\miniroot.gz screen=800x600
use Nero option to copy the floppy image to a CD-RQuote:
Originally Posted by boehmb
CDROM(boot)
bootable image:c:\boot-en.img (it is in Knoppix CD)
Enable expert settings (for advanced users only)
Kind of emulation : Floppy emulation 1.44mb