thanks, can I automate this using knoppix.sh or linuxrc?
Thanks, this works great. It lets me use Linux on my laptop using an external drive. Unlike the poormansinstall, I was able to use apt-get to install gnome and mono and update the whole system.
The only change I needed to the above instructions was to type knoppix26 single on boot instead of just knoppix single, because otherwise my ethernet wasn't working (eepro100 issue perhaps). One other issue is that shutting down hangs at the very end, but I can live with that.
Now, I'd like to have it so I don't have to manually type in all the commands each time I boot. I'm not sure if this can be accomplished via a custom knoppix.sh file (and use the myconfig cheatcode or else burn a new CD with knoppix.sh), or if I need to modify the linuxrc file in the initrd boot image used by the CD, similar to what this article describes doing: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...lnxw16FireBoot.
Pivot_root causes X server to crash
Hi,
Hope that this forum is still being monitored...
I downloaded knoppix 3.6 and installed it into a (non-bootable) external USB-HDD as a Debian Distribution with Hardware Auto detection. I then booted into the cd in single user mode and used the "pivot_root" command to transfer to the Hard Drive as detailed in the how-to at
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PivotRootInstall
Everything worked fine and I thought I had a fully operational Mobile Debian installation. I used apt-get to update all packages and installed some new ones and everything was okay across several reboots. However, when I connected my HD to another machine and tried to do pivot_root from it's CD-ROM drive, disaster struck. The CD booted correctly and dropped me into a shell. The pivot_root command worked and everything, but the minute I switched to runlevel 5, my X Server Crashed, claiming that the config of xf86Config file was wrong. Apparently, the X server config from my original machine persisted in the HD!!!
I have included the log file below. Is this supposed to happen? Why is it that all the other hardware parameters did not stay persistent (as is required for a mobile HD installation that will be connected to different computers) and were autodetected but the X-Server config was not? How do I make sure that the X-Server and display manager are automatically configged in all computers to which I connect the HD (Bear in mind that the knoppix cd itself boots fine all the way to X, so detection is not the problem)>
If I have to manually config X each time I put it in a different machine, then is there a good non-graphical tool in Debian that I can use?
Please let me know.
Thanks,
AR
Log File:
This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way. Bugs may be reported to [email protected] and patches submitted
to [email protected]. Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs).
XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0.dfsg.1-6 20040707142024 [email protected])
Release Date: 15 August 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.23 i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 07 July 2004
Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.7 (root@Knoppix) (gcc-Version 3.3.4 (Debian 1:3.3.4-3)) #2 SMP Wed Jul 28 04:25:36 CEST 2004
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sun Nov 28 17:44:43 2004
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
Fatal server error:
no screens found
When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to [email protected].