baldyeti: Your Bash script works like a charm :) Thank you for introducing me to Bash.
Printable View
baldyeti: Your Bash script works like a charm :) Thank you for introducing me to Bash.
--Geez, this guy is a newb and somebody is pointing him to C? (shudder)
--REAL men put this kind of thing in inittab. :twisted:
o Edit /etc/inittab as root
o Look for " id:5:initdefault: " - the 5 is your default runlevel
--Add a line (further down, after the /sbin/getty lines) saying something like:
" rd:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/rdesktop -OPTIONS"
--Re-init: ' kill -hup 1 ' == Tells init to re-read inittab
--This fulfills all requirements. :) It will run the script on boot and respawn it if it gets killed. See ' man inittab ' for more details.
--HOWEVER... Since it's dealing with X, I'd stick to baldyeti's script since it's already working for you. ;-) Consider this as an example for future reference. (I don't think you want to run rdesktop as root anyway, altho there are ways to get around this.)
--Anyhow, to run baldyeti's script every time on boot: Example, it lives in /usr/local/bin/baldyeti:
o ' cd /etc/rc5.d ' == This is where the scripts for runlevel 5 get run
o ' ln /usr/local/bin/baldyeti S98baldyeti -sfn ' == Make symbolic link to start the prog near end of boot process (WNG: I haven't tested this, as I've never used rdesktop.)
o If you do an ' ls -l ' now you should have:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jun 28 23:04 /etc/rc5.d/S98baldyeti -> /usr/local/bin/baldyeti
( Side note - every time I see baldyeti's nick in teh forum I have to smile -- it reminds me of http://www.northpolesantaclaus.com/heat_miser.htm ) :lol:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wflake
My kiosk finally works! C looked like overkill for such a simple task and why not harvest some internal Linux power like Bash or inittab :) I'll definitely try to get the inittab example to work because loading KDE seems redundant and creates more problems in this case.
Now all I have is some tweaking problems that should be very easy for you Guru's:
1) When booting I get a LILO boot screen (me thinks) where I can select which OS to load. Can I disable that or set the timeout to 0?
2) When loading Linux I get an annoying message regarding selection of screen mode (the screen is also f**ked up in KDE but I'll save that for another posting). How can I define the screen mode?
3) How do I change the network name from the default Linux/Samba name?
PS: rdesktop in KDE is not run as root. Even a noob knows that would be silly :)
PS: PS: Ill be Ghosting 20 PC's that, fortunately, are identical. But how would Linux react when being Ghosted to a different PC?
>1) When booting I get a LILO boot screen (me thinks) where I can select which OS to load. Can I disable that or set the timeout to 0?
As root, edit /etc/lilo.conf and then run: /sbin/lilo
For example, if the first part looks like:
prompt
timeout=50
default=Knoppix
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
lba32
comment out the prompt and timeout lines. If there is a vga=ask line, comment out that one too.
--In LILO, set ' vga=normal ' to avoid the extra prompt.
--Also set "DELAY=10" to bring the boot-time delay down to 1 second. It will still give you enough time to hit something if you need to enter extra kernel parms on an ad-hoc basis.
--Duplicating the install to different machines should work OK (test *ONE* dupe machine 1st!!) as long as they have different network addresses and machine names. Check /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts.
--For a kiosk, you should also disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace in the X server so they can't kill it, and disable Ctrl-Alt-Del in /etc/inittab so they can't shut the box down.
--Some googles:
http://librenix.com/?inode=1202
http://security.linux.com/howtos/Kiosk-HOWTO-3.shtml == (Outdated)
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6202
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wflake