Ah, they seem to have switched to the GPL so it is ok. Strange that I haven't noticed it before... :-DQuote:
Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
Printable View
Ah, they seem to have switched to the GPL so it is ok. Strange that I haven't noticed it before... :-DQuote:
Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
Windos_No_Thanks, perfect, getting Xine worked for me too...
Stephen, thanks also, another mplayer, in case Xine poops out again...
BTW, Windos_No_Thanks, you are soooo right about openning up a pandoras box... I was doing the apt-upgrade, and I had about 5 packages that couldn't be upgraded because of the libasound2 version. So, I went around them, and had them Kept Back. I had everything upgraded and no more updates -=- UNTIL I got that upgrade of libasound2...
NOW -=- shesh, I did the install of libasound2 for Xine to work, and now I've got about 244 packages reporting they can NOW be upgraded. Amazing how much one little package can hold back so many others...
Notably, the packages that were kept back, originally, by the version of libasound2 were:
k3b -=- cant install requires libasound2 v>0.9.8 and 0.9.3-2 is highest
kmix -=- cant install requires libasound2 v>0.9.8 and 0.9.3-2 is highest
konq-plugins -=- cant install requires libasound2 v>0.9.8 and 0.9.3-2 is highest
Oh well, and here I thought I was caught up, just goes to show, and as the ol' saying goes, "no rest for the wicked"...
Thanks again, both of you :D
Cuddles
It did actually cause one more dependency problem, libasound2-dev also needs to be updated:Quote:
Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
Code:wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/ma...9.8-2_i386.deb
dpkg -i libasound2-dev_0.9.8-2_i386.deb
Cool :D
Cuddles
BTW - you typo'ed in your dpkg line...
it should read:
dpkg -i libasound2-dev_0.9.8-2_i386.deb
:D just like the wget line shows :D
Not nit-picking you, just making the next person to do this a little less confused...
Thanks quadrillions Windos_No_Thanks
Cuddles
Oops, sorry.Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddles
Fixed now, I fed the commands in a VNC window and didn't get the copy/paste working from it & thought I would be able to copy two lines by hand without fcsk:ing then up. Seems like I can't... ;-)
--Note: When your system is working as expected and everything is to your liking, BACKUPS ARE YOUR FRIEND. :)
--Xine crapped out on me same way it did for you (they broke it.) I did the mistake of doing apt-get upgrade right before the Mars robot was about to land, and had to watch it on TV instead of streaming video. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddles
Dave, good point, and with that point, as you might guess, comes a question...
Backups:
On my old system, I had two hard drives install, on a Win98 system, and used a "Clone" program to duplicate the whole drive. If a crash happened, I just pulled out the drive, and pointed the BIOS to the backup drive to activate it.
On my new system, I don't have the second hard drive, and I am not sure, but would think that any backup program for Linux should be backing up the whole partition, am I right?
I do have a CDRW on the new system, but considering that Linux is about 2.x gig of used drive space, it won't all fit on a single CD - approximately 700 meg, I think.
One other point is, when you consider a backup strategy, how does one recover the backup - recall that I am a newbie in the Linux World - so options and programs used for a backup/recovery are more than welcome suggestions here :D
Thanks Dave, and anyone else, for any ideas/strategies...
Cuddles
--First off, I would highly recommend that *every* computer out there right now have at least two hard drives. One for regular use, and one for backups / storage. Anyhow...
--Backup scripts:
--This 1st one is an example of backing up critical files to a 100MB Zip drive; and is easily adapted for USB Thumbdrive or any other attached drive.
BEGIN bkpcrit
--Restore is pretty simple, you ' cd / ' and ' tar xzvf /mnt/zippy/WHICH-ARCHIVE.tar.gz '.Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Backup critical files (hopefully)
dest='/mnt/zippy1'
mount $dest
[ -e "$dest/NOTHERE" ] && echo "$dest NOT MOUNTED" && exit 99
# "If" checking for NOTHERE file...
dest=$dest'/linux-p901-knopper32'
echo $dest = PK
read
mkdir $dest
# Copy this bkp script to zippy
cp $0 $dest
cp ~/localinfo.dat $dest
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-ETC-debian.tar.gz /etc
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-DEV-debian.tar.gz /dev
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-rootbin-debian.tar.gz /root
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-davesrc-debian.tar.gz /home/dave/src
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-davebin-debian.tar.gz /home/dave/bin
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-usr-local-debian.tar.gz /usr/local
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-var-dpkg-status.tar.gz /var/lib/dpkg
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-var-dpkg-backups.tar.gz /var/backups
#/var/adm/inst-log
# Dotfiles
cd /root
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-root-dotfiles--restore-locally.tar.gz .[^.]*
cd /home/dave
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-dave-dotfiles--restore-locally.tar.gz .[^.]*
tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-usr-src-cfgs.tar.gz /usr/src/*.cfg
ls $dest -al
df $dest
exit
Copyright (C) 1999, 2000 and beyond David J Bechtel
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
The GNU Copyleft
--This next one is what I use for full system backups (Linux install). Only works if the whole system is on one partition ( / ), adapt if you have /usr , /var , or any other partitions mounted separately.
BEGIN bkpsys
--A couple of gotchas:Code:#!/bin/bash
mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/bkps
cd /mnt/bkps/local/debian
ls -l
bkpfname='hdb1-knoppix-32-kernl2420--20030716'
# Cmd not found?
#debsort
dpkg -l >~/DEBInstalled.list
# XXX BACKUP DEB CACHE BEFORE RUNNING $0!!
#apt-get clean
echo '==Updatedb...'
time updatedb
echo '==Backing up...'
time tar \
--exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/proc \
--exclude=/cdrom --exclude=/floppy \
--exclude=/.journal --exclude=/lost+found \
-cvf - / | \
gzip -9cv >$bkpfname.tar.gz
ls -l
o On my system, every /mnt/blah dir has a NOTHERE file (' touch /mnt/blah/NOTHERE ') to indicate when nothing is mounted there. For instance if I'm using MC, and ' cd /mnt/drived ' - if nothing was mounted on /mnt/drived and there was no NOTHERE file, all you'd see is an empty directory -- and you might be strongly tempted to freak out right then, because where have all your files gone?? The NOTHERE file lets you know you just forgot to mount /mnt/drived.
o When restoring a full system backup (bkpsys) to a newly formatted partition, you need to ' mkdir /proc ' on that partition before rebooting, and also recreate all your mount points because they've been excluded. Fortunately I have a script for that as well, which BTW creates the NOTHERE file for you in the process:
BEGIN newmnt
o When you restore a full system backup, you will have to re-do lilo 1) After the restore finishes, and 2) Before you reboot. If, like me, you find that to be a big PITA, there's always ' syslinux ' and a floppy. :) You can actually re-use a Knoppix bootfloppy with your custom kernel and a syslinux.cfg script.Code:#!/bin/sh
mkdir /mnt/$1
touch /mnt/$1/NOTHERE
ls -l /mnt/$1
echo PK to mount $1 (it should already exist in fstab)
read
mount /mnt/$1
o These scripts must be run as root; mine are in /root/bin and I have root's $PATH modified to look there. If your box is reasonably secure, you can put them in /usr/local/bin and chmod 700 them.
o Don't forget to chmod +x the script after you save it, or it won't execute. ;)
--Best practice is to try these scripts on a testbox (fresh Knoppix hdinstall will work fine), trash the install, and attempt a restore. Then you know it works. :) Been there, done that, works for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddles